FAR 3: Configuration documentation, storage, import/export

You want to talk about Far Manager, but don't know where to turn?
zb!

Post by zb! »

Hi everybody,

so I finally made the switch to FAR3. This means I now need to adapt quite a bit - having used FAR 1.x avidly for far :sarcastic_hand over a decade now. The most essential topic is obviously FAR's configuration. At the moment, I don't really have complete answers for any of the following questions:

1. Documentation: What is configurable and with which options?

The built-in documentation is missing parts which are not translated and this applies to a lot of changed or new ("new" from a FAR 1.75 perspective) features. Is there another source of information? Or even a central one? I have been piecing together information from the internet, changelog files, etc. but it I think it would be really beneficial to have a central place for documentation. Is there any effort underway to do such a thing?

2. Storage: Where is the configuration stored?

Having tried to upgrade to FAR3 several times now, I already dove into this question some years ago and I think FAR3 is using sqlite nowadays?

3. Import/Export: How do move configuration between FAR3 instances?

According to http://superuser.com/a/581329/154552, the way to save the settings is far.exe /export settings.cfg and far.exe /import settings.cfg, respectively. Is that true? Does it include ALL settings? I had an adventurous time converting my FAR1 settings to FAR3 - again, some years ago - this involved perl scripts and what-have-you. I stored this configuration away, and right now I just boldly copied the saved .db files in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Far Manager\Profile which seems to have worked. On a sidenote: FAR3 still includes the old SaveOldPluginSettings.cmd and RestoreOldPluginSettings.cmd which do basically nothing for FAR3 (right?).

To conclude: I think it would be beneficial to the project to address the documentation situation. I'd be happy to volunteer, if there is any interest!

Cheers,
zb!
HaRT

Post by HaRT »

zb! wrote: 1. Documentation: What is configurable and with which options?
In addition to what you can configure in the UI available via the Options menu, you can fine-tune many things via far:config (some of the changes might require you to save the settings and/or restart FAR).
zb! wrote: Is there another source of information? Or even a central one?
Apart from the docs packaged with FAR, this forum is probably the largest source of information, albeit mostly in Russian. I recollect some tutorials in English surfacing a few years ago, but I don't have links to these at hand. You'll hopefully find them in the English-language part of the forum easily.
zb! wrote: Is there any effort underway to do such a thing?
Some things are being maintained in a systematic manner across this forum. Such topics are usually Sticky or marked with a star icon. There was a 3rd-party wiki initiative years ago but it didn't gain popularity.
zb! wrote: 2. Storage: Where is the configuration stored?
As you mention later in the post, it's “%LOCALAPPDATA%\Far Manager\Profile” by default, but you can override many things in Far.exe.ini (see Far.exe.example.ini next to Far.exe).
zb! wrote: 3. Import/Export: How do move configuration between FAR3 instances?
/export” and “/import” are covered in the built-in help on command-line options. If you find any wrong or missing info, please let us know.
zb! wrote: I'd be happy to volunteer, if there is any interest!
If you submit fragments of text formatted according to the HLF format, they can be included into the main help file.
Фар есть инструмент, а не нянька. © 2009 DrKnS
zb!

Post by zb! »

Thanks for the input, I think this will keep me busy for a while :) Just one more question:
HaRT wrote: If you submit fragments of text formatted according to the HLF format, they can be included into the main help file.
How does the process of submitting work?
HaRT

Post by HaRT »

zb! wrote: How does the process of submitting work?
Ideally, you prepare a git patch and attach it to a new wish in the tracker (the “Bugs” link at the top of every forum page).
Фар есть инструмент, а не нянька. © 2009 DrKnS

Return to “General Discussions”