Oddities with UNC path browsing net: versus cd \\foo\bar

You want to talk about Far Manager, but don't know where to turn?
zippy1981

Oddities with UNC path browsing net: versus cd \\foo\bar

Post by zippy1981 »

Hi,

I've noticed what I consider to be inconsistencies in the far 2.0 unc path browsing functionality. Before opening bugs I wanted to disclose them here to see if people agree.

The first is cd \\serverName does not work, but net:\\serverName does. This is inconsistant because cd \\server\share does work. Since far appears to use its own internal version of cd as opposed to the one in cmd.exe, I would think it would be feasible to make net: and cd behave the same.

The second is that if I do a cd \\servername\d$ I get to the hidden share. If I do a net:\\servername\d$ get the list of shares on \\serverName.
DrKnS

Re: Oddities with UNC path browsing net: versus cd \\foo\bar

Post by DrKnS »

"cd" means "change directory". "\\serverName" is not a directory, so we simply can't "cd" there. But when you do "net:\\serverName" you invoke network plugin, which enumerates server shares and show them like a regular directory.
HaRT

Re: Oddities with UNC path browsing net: versus cd \\foo\bar

Post by HaRT »

zippy1981 wrote:If I do a net:\\servername\d$ get the list of shares on \\serverName.
Not exactly. You get the Network plugin's panel positioned at the D$ share of the \\servername host.
Фар есть инструмент, а не нянька. © 2009 DrKnS

Return to “General Discussions”