FAR3: Multiple profiles with minor modifications

You want to talk about Far Manager, but don't know where to turn?
pepak

FAR3: Multiple profiles with minor modifications

Post by pepak »

I wonder: Is it possible to maintain several FAR profiles which are basically the same but differ in a few settings? For example, I like my FAR2 admin account to have the CopySecurityOptions*) set to inherit on both copy and move, but need the same option set to default on non-admin account (simply because the non-admin doesn't have sufficient rights to change ACLs). In FAR2, I achieve this by exporting a registry under one user and importing it under another, then performing the necessary changes, or even doing a side-by-side comparison of the two registry exports. But it still isn't perfect, because e.g. each profile inevitably gets its own history and I need to re-sync them once in a while. Would it be possible, with FAR3's profiles being stored in separate database files, to use the same set of files for all profiles, with each profile having one specific override file which would take care of the necessary differences (e.g. the CopySecurityOptions above)? Thanks.

*) Incidentally, is this option still available in FAR3?
farman

Re: FAR3: Multiple profiles with minor modifications

Post by farman »

one profile for several user would be great, but as far as i know this isn't possible far3. often i need this feature too. one far3 running in an admin environment, another running in an user environment and another running... each profile with some little changes in config.

maybe this will help you (search and replace solution):
http://forum.farmanager.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=5876

or try to play with command line prarameter /s, /p.
:)
pepak

Post by pepak »

Yes, that is certainly a possibility, but it has none of the advantages that I'd like to see. I expect I could even get by with one copy of the settings, since the SQLite database used to storem settings should be multi-user-friendly - but without the possibility of "local override", that isn't going to help much (it would work with e.g. history, though).
farman

Post by farman »

oh yes, the multi-user environment would be great. it would make live a lot easier. maybe you put it as a wish in mantis?
but i feel that the developers don't have time enough at the moment to integrate such a big thing...
pepak

Post by pepak »

farman wrote:oh yes, the multi-user environment would be great.
AFAIK multi-user environment is already supported - the current setup certainly allows each user to have his own profile folder, and in fact each user can have an unlimited number of profiles. What I seek is something different - a common profile with a set of overrides.
but i feel that the developers don't have time enough at the moment to integrate such a big thing...
Looking at the source code, this isn't a big thing at all. Unless I am seriously mistaken, one would only need to modify the configdb.cpp file, and the changes could probably be limited to the GetValue method. The only difficult part would be handling of saving new values, but with some reasonable limits ("If a value already exists in the override database, it gets written there, otherwise it gets written to the regular database") could be done quite simply in the SetValue method.

The big question is, whether this is actually considered useful by anyone who is developing FAR3. I might write it myself, but as I am still sticking to FAR2, I have approximately zero knowledge of FAR3's function so I would probably mess something up. Plus I am not nearly as proficient with C++ as with Delphi or Assembler.

Return to “General Discussions”