Text editor help

You want to talk about Far Manager, but don't know where to turn?
dsd123

Text editor help

Post by dsd123 »

I'm wondering about a couple of things regarding the text editor.

1. Is there any way to just run the text editor (not far manager) by itself, preferably in a blank text buffer like notepad? After looking in the installation directory, I don't see a way to just run the far text editor.

2. Can I set this editor as my default text editor so that when I load a text file anywhere it loads this text editor?

I would really like to do these two things because the text editor is really good. It reminds me of using the old MS DOS edit command (which isn't available on windows 7 64 bit) and I get work done faster using it.

Thanks for your help
dsd123

Re: Text editor help

Post by dsd123 »

I just figured out by reading the help file that if I do:

"far.exe /e <filename>"

Then it works. So that solves my first question. I still can't figure out how to configure or point "Open with" to use this command by default. Can anyone here help me with this?
2useven10

Text editor help

Post by 2useven10 »

You can use assoc/ftype pair to setup that manually or create and choose it in "Open with" browse...
dsd123

Re: Text editor help

Post by dsd123 »

Thanks for the reply. I made a batch file using the /e parameter myself shortly after the second post, although my batch file is much simpler than yours. I just made it like this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Far Manager\far.exe" /e %1

From there all I had to do is save it in System32 as the name "edit.bat", that way all I have to do from now on to edit a file from command line or far is type "edit <filename>". Your batch script worked for me too so I just kept it around as "edit1.bat" and used it in the "open with" dialog for when I double click in explorer. Thank you for your help.

Return to “General Discussions”