FAR Translation in English.

You want to talk about Far Manager, but don't know where to turn?
cyberwolf

FAR Translation in English.

Post by cyberwolf »

I've seen that some of the files (for example the Help files) are not completely translated in English, some sections are still in Russian.

I would like to help in translating them, i can use Google Translate for the basic translation and then fix the translation problems (and alignment if it's needed).

The question is : how can I help translate the fareng.hlf file (and other HLF files) and add it to the current code repository so that I (or others) won't have to re-translate the same part when each FAR version is released ?

From what I understand FAR uses GIT for the code repository, I worked with GIT but not too much so any help/suggestions are welcome (or if there is some other method used for translating the files).

P.S. I don't want to modify the code or anything, only help in finishing the translation of the HLF files (FAR's and the plugins that come with it) so that new users who don't speak/write Russian can understand the help files.
Sorry for writing in English in the Russian forums, but i don't speak Russian and don't trust online translators. :D

"There’s no teacher who can teach anything new He can just help us to remember the things we always knew." ~ ENIGMA
John Doe
Бюрократ

Re: FAR Translation in English.

Post by John Doe »

You should edit FarEng.hlf.m4.
After translation you can attach it just here.

Or (even better) you can make diff patch and post it here
Shmuel

Post by Shmuel »

Far uses SVN repository, not Git. It is at http://farmanager.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/unicode_far.

Help file: you should edit FarEng.hlf.m4.

Language files: you can edit them directly.

WRT granting you commit access - I cannot tell now. In the meantime you can submit your changes (as patches) here.
John Doe
Бюрократ

Post by John Doe »

Shmuel wrote:Language files: you can edit them directly.
It's true.
But according HACKING-EN better edit farlang.templ.m4 instead.
DrKnS

Post by DrKnS »

If some parts of Russian text is not clear for you, feel free to ask anything, explanation will be provided.
cyberwolf

Post by cyberwolf »

Thanx for the quick reply.

I'll attach the modified FarEng.hlf.m4.file after i do some of the translations.
The language file seems to be translated, i'll have a look at it too.

P.S. sorry for mixing up GIT with SVN, i haven't actually looked where the code is.
Sorry for writing in English in the Russian forums, but i don't speak Russian and don't trust online translators. :D

"There’s no teacher who can teach anything new He can just help us to remember the things we always knew." ~ ENIGMA
cyberwolf

Post by cyberwolf »

I have made the translation of the FarEng.hlf.m4.
Since i wasn't sure that i generated the diff file correctly (i've used WinMerge's "Generate Patch" tool), I've attached both the diff and the complete FarEng.hlf.m4 file, here's the archive containing both files
FarEng.hlf.m4.zip
(112.84 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
There was one line that i wasn't able to translate (at around the 2708 line in the file), the original line was

Code: Select all

$+ - глубина стека каталогов
, Google translates it as

$+ - glubina steaks catalog
:P which makes absolutely no sense to me (that's why i don't exactly trust online translators :oops: ).

If i have time i'll also translate the HLF files of the plugins (the ones that come with FAR).

I have looked at the farEng.lng file it also contains a few Russian texts, i'll use the farlang.templ.m4 (as John Doe suggested) to make a translation for it.

P.S. not all translations are perfect, but they are more than usable. I tried to respect the formatting used for HLF files but i might have screwed up the formatting so the HLF file should be tested after generating it (just in case i forgot a ~ or # sign somewhere).

EDIT: i only seem to find HLF files and no HLF.M4 files in the plugins in the repository, should i then edit directly the HLF files and post the modified versions here ?

DrKnS

Post by DrKnS »

"глубина стека каталогов" means "depth of directories stack", i.e. how many directories are currently stored in the stack.
i only seem to find HLF files and no HLF.M4 files in the plugins in the repository, should i then edit directly the HLF files and post the modified versions here ?
Yes, exactly.
HaRT

Post by HaRT »

cyberwolf wrote:the original line was

$+ - глубина стека каталогов
, Google translates it as

$+ - glubina steaks catalog
which makes absolutely no sense to me (that's why i don't exactly trust online translators).
Hmm, in my case, it gives “depth of the directory stack”… How did you get that ridiculous “translation”?
Фар есть инструмент, а не нянька. © 2009 DrKnS
cyberwolf

Post by cyberwolf »

HaRT wrote:Hmm, in my case, it gives “depth of the directory stack”… How did you get that ridiculous “translation”?
I just realised that i had google translate set to "autodetect language" (i forgot to set it to Russian), and now that i looked closer, it says that for that given expression it detected the language as "Macedonian" :ha:
It's strange that it was the only text that it didn't detect as being Russian, for all other words/expressions it worked correctly.

cyberwolf

Post by cyberwolf »

I'va managed to do the translations for the far.lng and hlf files used by the plugins (the ones that come with FAR).
The attached zip file
FarEng.hlf.m4.diff_21.01.2014.zip
(46.11 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
contains the diff files (i finally realised that UnxUtils contains the diff tool to create the diff files :oops: )
I've used the latest version of the files taken from the SVN (as of 13:00 12.01.2014).

EDIT : i have also updated the FarEng.hlf.m4 file with the missing translations, now it should be completely in English, i've attached another archive with the diff file for it.
far_translation_21.01.2014.zip
(7.15 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
P.S. i've translated the farlang.templ.m4 instead of the far.lng as John Doe suggested.

If i can help with the translations (or any other way) please let me know as i really love FAR Manager :wink:

HaRT

Post by HaRT »

cyberwolf wrote:UnxUtils contains the diff tool to create the diff files
I've used the latest version of the files taken from the SVN (as of 13:00 12.01.2014).
As you use svn anyway, I'd recommend “svn diff”. It gives diff-compatible files that also incorporate Subversion specifics (properties, added/deleted files, etc).
Фар есть инструмент, а не нянька. © 2009 DrKnS
Shmuel

Post by Shmuel »

Is somebody from Far Group working on these patches?
DrKnS

Post by DrKnS »

I thought about it but you're welcome if you want.
Shmuel

Post by Shmuel »

I just wanted to prevent 2 of us doing the same work - it would be silly.
I could take Far Help patch and you - lng and plugins patches, is it OK for you?

On the other hand, it would be much better if this work was done by somebody knowing English on higher level (e.g. NightRoman).

Return to “General Discussions”