run FAR3 as regular user on terminal server

You have encountered a problem using Far Manager? Here you can get help.
wuesten_fuchs

run FAR3 as regular user on terminal server

Post by wuesten_fuchs »

Hello,

I use FAR (now version 3) a lot. I have installed it on all machines I use and especially also on all Windows servers which I maintain.
One of these servers is a Terminal Server (or, as it is called now, a Remote Destop Services Server).
Some of my RDS users are also FAR users.

I have now noticed that FAR 3 does not work when run by a regular user (that is not a administrator).
When a non-admin user starts FAR 3, it simply and silently (no error message) terminates itself.
The old FAR 2 runs fine also for regular users.

Is this a known bug or limitation? Is there a trick? Thanks for sharing your ideas!

Kai-Uwe
DrKnS

Re: run FAR3 as regular user on terminal server

Post by DrKnS »

It happens with most recent nightly build?
If yes, it happens without plugins too?
cyberwolf

Post by cyberwolf »

I might be wrong, but FAR by default tries to write in the "%APPDATA%\Far Manager" and "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Far Manager" folders and the user might not have write permissions when starting FAR through terminal.

One solution would be to configure FAR to save the settings in a local folder (where it has write access), for that edit the far.exe.ini file (you can use the Far.exe.example.ini as a starting point) and add (or modify) the following section :

Code: Select all

[General]
UseSystemProfiles=0
UserProfileDir=%FARHOME%\Profile
This will make FAR save all configuration files in a "Profile" subfolder. Just make sure that the "Profile" folder is writable by the user (even through the terminal).

As i said, it's not certain this is the problem, but it's a starting point :)
Sorry for writing in English in the Russian forums, but i don't speak Russian and don't trust online translators. :D

"There’s no teacher who can teach anything new He can just help us to remember the things we always knew." ~ ENIGMA
wuesten_fuchs

Post by wuesten_fuchs »

Thanks for pointing into the right direction. It was the access rights in the profile directory. FAR was configured to use a single shared profile directory only writable by admins.
Of course, for a terminal server I have to change that so that everyone uses his/her own profile directory within the Windows user profile so that everyone can have his/her own individual settings.
wuesten_fuchs

Post by wuesten_fuchs »

One more question:

In the far.exe.ini file in FARHOME, there is a line

;TemplateProfile let's you define a custom location for Far Manager default configuration file.
;TemplateProfile=%FARHOME%\Default.farconfig

Is Default.farconfig meant to be a subdirectory that can contain a complete set of FAR config (database) files?
Is this then copied to each users own user profile directory when he/she uses FAR for the first time?

Or is it really a configuration _file_ and if so, what is it supposed to contain?
cyberwolf

Post by cyberwolf »

wuesten_fuchs wrote:Is Default.farconfig meant to be a subdirectory that can contain a complete set of FAR config (database) files?
Is this then copied to each users own user profile directory when he/she uses FAR for the first time?

Or is it really a configuration _file_ and if so, what is it supposed to contain?
The "default.farconfig" is a FILE, it contains the default configurations (the ones a new users starts out with).

For an example look at the "far.exe.config" file that is generated by FAR. Also, in the Addons folder there are a few more farconfig files to set colors and such.

From what i understand, the farconfig files can contain ANY setting that you can make in FAR, even the settings for the plugins.

Btw, you can export your current FAR configuration to a config file using FAR.EXE /export <filename.config> and then you can edit the file (it's actually an XML file) and leave only the parts that you want to be the default settings for a new user.
Sorry for writing in English in the Russian forums, but i don't speak Russian and don't trust online translators. :D

"There’s no teacher who can teach anything new He can just help us to remember the things we always knew." ~ ENIGMA
wuesten_fuchs

Post by wuesten_fuchs »

Thanks. The /export to a Default.farconfig and is use by new user profiles works fine.
Unfortunately, the /export does not include any macros from the current profile.
Perhaps that could be enhanced in a future version?

Return to “Support and Troubleshooting”