FTP plugin winsock connection refused [solved]

Here you can report bugs found in Far Manager.
twodev

FTP plugin winsock connection refused [solved]

Post by twodev »

With the latest FAR 1.75 RC0 FTP plugin I keep getting a red error box without title just telling me the name of a WinSock error value ("WSAECONNREFUSED"), but nothing else, whenever I try to connect to a FTP server. Nothing else happens after that.

This happens with both FAR 1.75 and FAR 2. (XP X86 SP3)

Any ideas? Maybe something related to the OS?
Attachments
FAR 2.0
FAR 2.0
snap090309_225543.png (2.22 KiB) Viewed 8907 times
FAR 1.75
FAR 1.75
snap090309_225503.png (2.69 KiB) Viewed 8907 times
Last edited by twodev on Wed 11 Mar, 2009 05:41, edited 1 time in total.
far2 plugins: format menu (discuss) | editor tools (discuss); far2 tools: lngtool
Maximus5

Re: FTP plugin WSAECONNREFUSED

Post by Maximus5 »

try "Passive mode"?
Px

Post by Px »

WSAECONNREFUSED

Connection refused.

No connection could be made because the target computer actively refused it. This usually results from trying to connect to a service that is inactive on the foreign host—that is, one with no server application running.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... S.85).aspx
Check clean install of 2.0 build 818 with my ftps, all works fine :)
twodev

Post by twodev »

@maximus5: Doesn't help either.

@px: I know what it means. But whatever i try nothing helps, far-wise.

I have around 100 FTP accounts stored for use with the FAR FTP plugin and this has never happened before :| Not sure whether it is FAR- or XP-related.
far2 plugins: format menu (discuss) | editor tools (discuss); far2 tools: lngtool
twodev

Post by twodev »

Well okay, I've narrowed it down.

The problem is related to the operating system. The Windows Firewall is somehow blocking FAR or FAR's FTP plugin - both 1.75 and 2.0. Every other FTP client I've tried works and makes Windows pop up the "Allow/deny" message box where I can add an exception. However FAR never pops up such a message here on this system. But I did actually have exceptions for FAR added before. Even if I reset the Firewall to factory defaults (ie. netsh firewall reset) and manually re-add FAR.EXE as an exception it doesn't work. I keep getting WSAECONNREFUSED. However if I deactivate the Windows Firewall completely the plugin works again.

This is so massively weird...

UPDATE: Solved. This is caused by the Windows Firewall. Disabling it gets rid of the problem. No exceptions work, resetting doesn't help either. Lots of other people with XP-SP2 and SP3 seem to have the same problem, which seems to suddenly appear. Well, I've replaced Windows Firewall with Tiny Personal Firewall and it works well now. Still I have no clue how and why this happened anyway...

Return to “Bug Reports”