Directories with point in its name - bad sorting

Here you can report bugs found in Far Manager.
KlepetoX

Directories with point in its name - bad sorting

Post by KlepetoX »

I have found very unpleasant bug for me - I have option "Sort folder names by extension" enabled and sort mode in panel is "by extension". Files are sorted correctly, but folders not. See this example:

Code: Select all

#Artwork                                                                   │ <Folder>│
01 Early Works (1969–70)                                                   │ <Folder>│
02 Music in Twelve Parts (1971–74)                                         │ <Folder>│
03 Einstein On the Beach (1976)                                            │ <Folder>│
04 Glassworks - Analog                                                     │ <Folder>│
05 From Satyagraha (1980)                                                  │ <Folder>│
06 From Koyaanisqatsi and Powaqqatsi                                       │ <Folder>│
07 String Quartets and Piano Études (1984–94)                              │ <Folder>│
10 Filmworks                                                               │ <Folder>│
09 Symphonies Nos. 3 & 8                                                   │ <Folder>│
08 From The Civil Wars, Hydrogen Jukebox, Symphony No. 5, and Akhnaten     │ <Folder>│
info                                                                    txt│       43│
- you can see that folders 09 and 08 are not sorted right because of symbol "." (point) contained in folder name. But there's a space after that point, which means, that point is _NOT_ extension delimiter.

If I create the file with the same name - ie. "09 Symphonies Nos. 3 & 8" everything is correct, point is not extension delimiter and " 3 & 8" is not supposed as extension.
DrKnS

Re: Directories with point in its name - bad sorting

Post by DrKnS »

If I create the file with the same name - ie. "09 Symphonies Nos. 3 & 8" everything is correct, point is not extension delimiter and " 3 & 8" is not supposed as extension.
Actually not, " 3 & 8" IS considered as extension.
Try to create the second file with name "08 From The Civil Wars, Hydrogen Jukebox, Symphony No. 5, and Akhnaten" and check again. The extension will be " 5, and Akhnaten" and they will be sorted in the same way.
Everything after the last point is considered as extension regardless of spaces presence. Although your opinion sounds logical, this behavior has been here for decades and there may be other opinions as well.
I created discussion in Russian forum.
KlepetoX

Re: Directories with point in its name - bad sorting

Post by KlepetoX »

Code: Select all

01 Folder                       ext1│ <Folder>│
02 Folder                       ext2│ <Folder>│
04 Folder                       ext4│ <Folder>│
03 Folder.x ext3                    │ <Folder>│
01 File                         ext1│        4│
02 File                         ext2│        4│
04 File                         ext4│        2│
03 File.x ext3                      │        4│
OK, you are right, it is the same for file. But as you can see, the extensions with space inside are not align - but should be "Align file/folder extension" is enabled in panel modes settings. But it doesn't solve my problem of sorting. But it seems that FAR doesn't consider them as extension (it is good for me, no align), but consider them as extension for sorting (bad).

Return to “Bug Reports”