Jump to file by full or relative path

Something is missing in Far Manager? You have a great idea that should be heard? Write here.
taffer

Post by taffer »

When I want to jump to a file directly, eg. C:\Directory\Subdirectory\My.file, it would be very convenient if cd command with full path would work.
For example:

Code: Select all

cd C:\Directory\Subdirectory\My.file
Now this produces an error message:
╔══════════════════════════════ Error ═══════════════════════════════╗ ║ C:\Directory\Subdirectory\My.file ║ ║ The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. ║ ╟────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────╢ ║ { OK } ║ ╚════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝
Instead, I always have to do the following procedure (considering that the full path is on the clipboard):
  1. cd Ctrl+V, deleting the file name from the end, enter --> this jumps to the folder
  2. Ctrl+O to hide the panels so cursor keys will affect the command prompt instead of navigating among files
  3. Ctrl+V again, Shift+Left-Left-Left... until the file name is selected at the end of the path
  4. Shift+Del to cut the file name to the clipboard
  5. Ctrl+X to remove the path from the command line
  6. Ctrl+O to show the panels again
  7. Alt+A key to show the file quick search, +1 backspace if there is a file name starting with the A letter
  8. Ctrl+V to paste the file name and jump to the file
Since this works in Total Commander, it is really hard to convince TC users to use Far Manager when they face this problem.

Speaking of this, there is a related problem with UNC paths:
While cd \\server\folder works, cd \\server produces an error:
╔══════════════════ Error ═══════════════════╗ ║ \\server ║ ║ The system cannot find the path specified. ║ ╟────────────────────────────────────────────╢ ║ { OK } ║ ╚════════════════════════════════════════════╝
This is not as serious as the one above since typing "net:\\server" is a workaround for the problem. But as said, TC users would never find it out, so they are always complaining when they can only use Far Manager on my computer :)
John Doe
Бюрократ

Post by John Doe »

cd C:\Directory\Subdirectory\My.file
Try goto: command instead, e.g:

goto:C:\Directory\Subdirectory\My.file
taffer

Post by taffer »

Wow, thanks. I tryed file: and jump: prefixes but goto: never came to my mind. I was aware of net: only.

Anyway, where are these hidden features mentioned? Why I am unable to find them in Far Help or in Documentation folder?

And last but not least: would it be such a big deal to add these features to cd command, which would everyone's first try anyway?
HaRT

Post by HaRT »

taffer wrote: add these features to cd command, which would everyone's first try anyway?
Please feel free to file a wish at the issue tracker (see the “Bugs” link at the top of this page). If/when you do so, please include a link to this discussion there, e.g. as Addiitonal Info.
Фар есть инструмент, а не нянька. © 2009 DrKnS
John Doe
Бюрократ

Post by John Doe »

taffer wrote:Why I am unable to find them in Far Help or in Documentation folder?
F1, ShiftF2, FAR Commands

Return to “Suggestions and Ideas”