Named Folders Lite

Here you can discuss about your favorite plug-in.
GAAlex

Named Folders Lite

Post by GAAlex »

Latest post of the previous page:

Bug?
Bug?
Bug?
FarTest.gif (341.71 KiB) Viewed 16065 times
pepak

Named Folders Lite

Post by pepak »

Looks like a bug. Will check what can be done about it.
HaRT

Named Folders Lite

Post by HaRT »

GAAlex, please try avoiding excessive window size when making screenshots.

BTW what tools do you use to create GIFs like this?
Last edited by HaRT on Mon 26 Sep, 2016 13:11, edited 1 time in total.
Фар есть инструмент, а не нянька. © 2009 DrKnS
GAAlex

Named Folders Lite

Post by GAAlex »

HaRT, с размером, да, лоханулся.
для создания gif использовал http://www.cockos.com/licecap/
pepak

Named Folders Lite

Post by pepak »

Version 1.03
  • Support for directly entering a subdirectory of a named folder with "cd:a/b\c\d". Here "a/b" is the name of the named folder and "\c\d" is a subdirectory to go to, determined as everything starting from the first backslash ("\"). E.g., assume that "a/b" points to "C:\WINDOWS". Then "cd:a/b\system32" opens "C:\WINDOWS\System32". This feature is disabled by default. If you want to use it, go to the plugin's options and activate the "Allow path suffix" option.
  • Support for paths starting with "\\", such as "\\server\share" or "\\.\pipe". For some reason, FAR will happily accept these paths on command line with a "CD \\path" command, but refuses to set panel directory to them - so I had to write an ugly hack which simulates a macro. For this reason, the support is rather shaky and requires that the command line be empty.
  • Optional support for plugin-based directories. Generally, with plugins you want to use the already existing functionality of linking directly to the plugin's panel (using Plugin ID, parameter and host file), but in some cases it may be better to use a plugin-starting command line. In that case, you can create a named folder without a link to plugin and provide a command line for directory: "edit:<for /?". This allows you to create shortcuts to non-panel functionality of a plugin. This feature is disabled by default. If you want to use it, go to the plugin's options and activate the "Allow plugin calls" option. Be wary of creating loops as these are not being detected and will eventually crash FAR Manager.
  • Enhanced the Plugin.Call("...", "OPEN") function to allow jumping to a specified named folder. Simply add the named folder to the end of the path. Example: Plugin.Call("...", "OPEN", "sys/win"), where "sys" is a directory of named folders and "win" is a named folder.
  • Fuzzy search for a named folder ("cd:a" where you have no "a" named folder, but perhaps have "a123") is now optional and can be set in plugin's options. Default value is enabled, consistent with plugin's behavior so far.
  • Search for a named folder can now ignore directories. That is, "cd:a" will now also find "b\a" or even "b\a123" (with the standard fuzzy search). This feature is disabled by default but can be enabled in the options.
  • Added Ukrainian translation.
  • Added a selection of samples (by q726xan5on) which demonstrates the use of some of the more advanced features of Named Folders Lite, particularly this version's support for plugin-based directories.
  • Added English help file.
  • When editing an item from the panel without changing its name, the item got deleted.
  • Fixed a bug where creating a new named folder from the panel and giving it an already-existing name could lead to the old value being overwritten regardless of the answer to the confirmation dialog (more specifically, answering "No" would overwrite the value and then reopen the new/edit dialog).
GAAlex

Named Folders Lite

Post by GAAlex »

pepak, May be make field "Name (Alias)" optional?
pepak

Named Folders Lite

Post by pepak »

GAAlex wrote:pepak, May be make field "Name (Alias)" optional?
Impossible. Alias is required for the plugin to function - it is the identifier of the bookmark.
twodev

Named Folders Lite

Post by twodev »

Thanks for making this, finally lets me move on to FAR3x64 :D
far2 plugins: format menu (discuss) | editor tools (discuss); far2 tools: lngtool
vvm

Named Folders Lite

Post by vvm »

Thank you for the plugin!

I miss the only thing while using it. I rarely need it but it may be useful. Can you implement a feature like Linux bash has? I am talking about "cd -" command.

-- Why [Rationale]
I have a directory that contains all my projects and it has more than 1 nesting level. Adding a hotlink for each project inside it seems meaningless and tedious. So, I added a link to the parent directory "cd::proj" and then enter a project I work at a given moment manually. Often I have opened on both panels two different directories of the same project: one is source dir, another one is bin or test dir. At the same time, I may forget how to some stuff and want to look how I did it in another project a few months ago. So, it results in manual traversing from current directory, a few directories up, then enter old project, a few level down, read/copy old code, and then go back. "cd:-" would be very helpful in this case.

-- Implementation details
0. I suggest a new command "cd:-" to do all the job
1. Every time, one executes "cd:<name>", the plugin remembers the current directory before moving to a selected hot directory
2. When one executes "cd:-", the plugin remembers the current directory, too and then goes to previously saved directory
3. Remembering the current directory for "cd:-" allows a user to switch between two directories even if they are not hot dir as many time as the one wants.

--- Possible workflow
0. One has hot dir "proj" that points to "%HOME%/projects"
1. On one panel:

Code: Select all

cd:proj
  cd new/myproj/src
On the other panel

cd:proj
  cd new/myproj/tests/
2. One wants to copy a code snippet from some old project:
on the first panel:

cd:proj  // here the current directory - that is <%HOME%/.../myproj/src> - is saved
  cd old/unfinished/test23/src
3. Open old file, copy part of it, close

cd:-   // here it saves <%HOME%/.../test23/src> and opens saved <%HOME%/.../myproj/src>
Now executing the same command cd:- one can switch between "...test23/src" and "...myproj/src" as many time as the one needs to copy all required snippets. And, moreover, the one does not need to create a temporary hot dirs for both ".../src directories to open then quickly. It may be very convenient.

I hope my explanation is easy to understand :)
pepak

Named Folders Lite

Post by pepak »

Sounds easy enough to do. I will need to find some time to do it, though.

Not sure how to deal with multiple instances, though.
vvm

Named Folders Lite

Post by vvm »

Thank you! I'm looking forward for the new version. Take your time. The feature can wait.

I am not sure about multiple instances, too. I almost always have only one FAR instance running, so it is not a big issue for me. If the plugin keeps the last directory for "cd:-" in memory and every plugin instance has its own history of last visited directory - I am fine with it.
pepak

Named Folders Lite

Post by pepak »

Version 1.04
  • Support for "cd:-": Every time a current folder is changed using this plugin (i.e. by "cd:xxx" or by pressing ENTER in the plugin's panel), the previous location gets saved to a memory variable. "cd:-" will then return to this saved location. The save is done even with "cd:-" itself, meaning that by repeating "cd:-", it is possible to switch back and forth between two locations.
  • Support for exporting and importing whole directories of bookmarks. When exporting a directory, a directory tree containing a set of XML files for each individual non-directory bookmark will be created. When importing a directory, all subdirectories will be scanned for XML files in the right format, and any found will be imported to the right bookmark directory.
  • Named Folders could not open a bookmark to itself, e.g. by opening a Named Folders panel, navigating to a directory, saving the location with "cd::nf", switching to "C:\" and then performing "cd:nf". Note that the same problem still applies to some third-party plugins, e.g. NetBox, because the cause lies primarily in the destination plugin (or possibly FAR Manager itself).
  • If a bookmark "x" existed when using "cd::x" command, it would get completely replaced with new data. Now the Description will be copied to the new bookmark.
vvm

Named Folders Lite

Post by vvm »

That was quick.
I tested it a little - it worked as expected. Thank you!
pepak

Named Folders Lite

Post by pepak »

Version 1.10
  • Rewritten the plugin to the new framework for FAR plugins. This will enable far easier maintenance in the future.
  • In the panel, changed the hotkey for opening of a named folder in the inactive panel from ALT+ENTER to SHIFT+ENTER. The latter combination works in FAR2, too.
  • Minor fixes for compatibility with Delphi 10.1 and newer.
  • Fixed incorrect displaying of the confirmation dialogs.
Download
pepak

Named Folders Lite

Post by pepak »

Version 1.11
  • Added support for opening the plugin's panel from the plugins menu (F11).
  • Fixed incorrect drawing of the plugin's dialogs in FAR versions 5788 and newer.
  • Support building with Delphi 10.4 Sydney.
  • Cleaned up the source code.
Download
twodev

Named Folders Lite

Post by twodev »

This has been of my most essential plugins, even back on FAR2! Much love for this!

I'd like to suggest adding a cp: and mv: prefix to copy and move files directly to a named folder using FAR's internal routines (just passing it to the dialogs possibly?).
If often would be useful to just drop a file somewhere directly form the cmdline.
If there is already a way to do something like this please let me know. Thanks :)
far2 plugins: format menu (discuss) | editor tools (discuss); far2 tools: lngtool

Return to “General Plug-In Discussions”