Why should one run FAR Manager

You want to talk about Far Manager, but don't know where to turn?
InfernoZeus

Why should one run FAR Manager

Post by InfernoZeus » Fri 14 Aug, 2009 21:43

I just discovered FARManager; I can't work out what benefits it gives me though..
Is there anything that shows it's main benefits over using cmd/windows explorer??
Last edited by HaRT on Mon 17 Aug, 2009 11:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed the Topic Subject

Px

Re: FARManager

Post by Px » Fri 14 Aug, 2009 22:00

Nothing! :crazy:

jonib

Post by jonib » Fri 14 Aug, 2009 22:12

InfernoZeus wrote:I just discovered FARManager; I can't work out what benefits it gives me though..
Is there anything that shows it's main benefits over using cmd/windows explorer??
For me the integration of the filepanels and the commandline makes it very powerful and easy to do many things, and I can't think of working differently.
But what makes Far manager so powerful to me is very useful macro support and very flexible plugin support, so if something don't work like I want it I can change it with macros and if there is a missing feature there probably is a plugin that does what I want.

Just try it out, read the help by pressing "F1" and check the PlugRinG link for plugins.

jonib

pepak

Post by pepak » Sun 16 Aug, 2009 15:50

Honestly, I don't think it has any real benefits - unless you intend to use it as "a sort-of replacement shell", a central piece of software that you use to organize your files, run your applications, etc. etc. - then you will find out how immensely powerful FAR is and how awfully limited all other file managers are. But, unfortunately, learning this is a full -time job for several years.

NightRoman

Post by NightRoman » Sun 16 Aug, 2009 19:49

pepak
Well said, really!

sentosoft

Re: Why should one run FAR Manager

Post by sentosoft » Thu 04 Mar, 2010 02:24

the main reason I use it is because of it's shortcuts system.

first, I need to mention I use far along with console manager, so I can have more windows.

then, I use CTRL - # to get to my most used locations
I also use user menu mostly for some other not so used locations.

this only makes me much more efficient than any other commander since operating speed is very high
compared to any other commanders that I tried using.

this only to mention my main reason, of course there are a lot more other

cyberwolf

Post by cyberwolf » Wed 19 Jan, 2011 17:59

I use it since I've been used with "2 panel file managers" from the "good old days" of DOS.
I've used this kind of file managers from around 1993 so for me it's very "natural".
Here are a few advantages I see when using FAR :
- many keyboard shortcuts, very fast way of managing files (if you are comfortable with the keyboard ;) )
- 2 panels so you can quickly copy/move files between folders
- ability to type console/command prompt commands without having to open other windows or run other programs (being a DOS/Linux user i'm confortable with the command prompt and use it daily)
- ability to extend FAR with plugins, programs and macros
- autocomplete commands (almost as well as in linux ;) )

Here are a few of my favorite plugins :
- ability to run multiple FAR's in tabs with ConEMU, it also gives the ability to see thumbnails of files/images just like in WinExplorer
- ability to browse network shares, FTP servers, SCP servers, Control Panel items, Services, ...
- ability to browse archives and work with them as with folders (with the 7z plugin, multiarc, ...)
- ability to preview images with PictureViewer2 and to view movies with MMView
- Hex editor (Hexitor or the old HexEdit (ansi) plugin
- ability to show the windows menu for a file/folder with the EMenu plugin
- ability to show hints with info about files with the FarHints plugin
- ability to quickly jump to often used folders with Named Folders
- regular expression search & replace (for example ReSearch)
- create/edit shell links with Shell Link (it's an ANSI plugin but works well with FAR 2)
- syntax highlighting of files with Colorer
- ability to browse phones (there's a plugin for Sony Ericsson phones and one for WinMobile, probably there's going to be one for Android too)

I probably forgot a few other things i use FAR for, might add more info later.

I hope this helps new users to see just how much FAR can be extended and just how many things it can be useful for :D
Sorry for writing in English in the Russian forums, but i don't speak Russian and don't trust online translators. :D

"There’s no teacher who can teach anything new He can just help us to remember the things we always knew." ~ ENIGMA

vik

Post by vik » Thu 20 Jan, 2011 16:03

FAR Manager is the first application that I run after my OS is started.

I can say that in the nearest future we will have another good feature in FAR - ability to write plugings in Java language!
j4far (or jafar) is comming :)
Don't work hard, work smart :)

leandersukov

Post by leandersukov » Fri 28 Jan, 2011 14:32

I had - just for working reasons - to chance from Linux (Debian) to Windows 7. It's like chancing from a well driving Mercedes Benz to a colourfull but wrecked car.
I am totally happy that FAR Manager is available. It is just like the Midnight Commander (MC) in the linux world!
Thank you for providing this tool!

Kmuland

Post by Kmuland » Thu 02 Jun, 2011 08:41

Windows needs lot of time to access/cut/copy/del a folder with thousands of files.. also there is not info about what windows is doing before the folder with files are displayed.

In Far.. this problem is gone

redhotiron2004

Post by redhotiron2004 » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 16:37

I only use Far for browsing and modding my Sony Ericsson phone. Because there is no other software that can do that for Sony Ericsson. I have Sony Hazel db3350 mobile phone.

mcDaur

Post by mcDaur » Wed 10 Aug, 2011 12:11

redhotiron2004 wrote:I only use Far for browsing and modding my Sony Ericsson phone. Because there is no other software that can do that for Sony Ericsson. I have Sony Hazel db3350 mobile phone.
try using it on your laptop or PC. you'll see the difference))

Return to “General Discussions”