FAR3 and the new Macro-languages

You want to talk about Far Manager, but don't know where to turn?
farman

FAR3 and the new Macro-languages

Post by farman »

I've recently changed from FAR2 to FAR3. After reading a lot and trying to understand the new macroconcepts I'm now very confused what to do. :?

1. What it the right language to use for now and the future?
Recorded and hand made lua-macros, lua-macros (luamacro), fml (macrolib), fmllua (macroliblua) or whatever?
(I don't mean the Java and shellscript plugin implementations)

2. Changing from FAR2 to FAR3
I knew there are some converters that will do a part of the work and I tried them in many ways. But I do have a lot of problems converting my macros. Now I'm a little bit frustrated. Do I really have to rewrite (most of) my macros (Recorded and hand made FAR2-macros, fml-macrolib)?

Maybe someone already went through that hell and can tell me (and of course the other english speaking users) here which is the best way refering to point 1.
Shmuel

Re: FAR3 and the new Macro-languages

Post by Shmuel »

farman wrote:I've recently changed from FAR2 to FAR3. After reading a lot and trying to understand the new macroconcepts I'm now very confused what to do. :?

1. What it the right language to use for now and the future?
Recorded and hand made lua-macros, lua-macros (luamacro), fml (macrolib), fmllua (macroliblua) or whatever?
(I don't mean the Java and shellscript plugin implementations)
1. The embedded macro-language has been replaced by Lua.

2. Macros are kept in *.lua files (one file can contain multiple macros) in %FARPROFILE%\Macros\scripts directory and its subdirectories. Far Manager never writes anything here, only reads. To familiarize yourself with the current macrofile format, read changelog_eng and see examples in the Addon\Macros directory.

3. Recorded macros are kept in %FARPROFILE%\Macros\internal directory. Nothing in this directory is meant for editing by hand, this directory is handled by Far Manager exclusively.

4. MacroLib has changed its internal file format and uses Lua instead of macro-language. Its files have now extension .fmlua.
farman wrote:2. Changing from FAR2 to FAR3
I knew there are some converters that will do a part of the work and I tried them in many ways. But I do have a lot of problems converting my macros. Now I'm a little bit frustrated. Do I really have to rewrite (most of) my macros (Recorded and hand made FAR2-macros, fml-macrolib)?

Maybe someone already went through that hell and can tell me (and of course the other english speaking users) here which is the best way refering to point 1.
As far as I know, there is no tool for direct conversion from registry-based Far 2 macros to Lua files.
The main tool used by most people here is Macro2Lua converter (available on PlugRing), it handles a few input formats, including .fml but the registry-based format is not covered.
farman

Post by farman »

Thank you very much, Shmuel.
:)
Mauro72

Post by Mauro72 »

Two questions...
Is "%FARPROFILE%\Macros\scripts" or "%FARPROFILE%\ADDONS\Macros\scripts
and how to load/run *.lua files macros?
example: Panel.BS.lua, Panel.Esc.lua etc.
Thanks ;)
Shmuel

Post by Shmuel »

1. There is no such thing as %FARPROFILE%\Addons\Macros\scripts, unless you create it yourself.
2. Copy those macrofiles you want to use from %FARHOME%\Addons\Macros to %FARPROFILE%\Macros\scripts and restart Far.
Mauro72

Post by Mauro72 »

Ok, thanks Shmuel.

Return to “General Discussions”