license and ability to unpack RAR

Хотите говорить о Far и не знаете, куда обратиться?
vivaastoria

Post by vivaastoria »

When I download the latest version of Far manager and install it with the default settings, the only license I have to accept is the "BSD-like" license available here: http://farmanager.com/license.php?l=en
This installation is cabable of unpacking RAR archives out of the box.
However, when I tried to look for a standalone RAR archive extractor, I found no "truly free and open source" programs, all of them have restrictions like "the user must not try to reverse engineer the RAR compresson and decomperssion algorithm and format".
So, my question is: does an unrestricted RAR decompression algorithm really exist?
HaRT

Post by HaRT »

vivaastoria wrote: the only license I have to accept is the "BSD-like" license
AFAIK, this licence only covers FAR Manager itself, whereas archives are handled by the arclite plugin being installed as an optional feature. IIRC, that plugin is based on 7-Zip sources and is governed by a GPL-style licence. Please see all details in the plugin's directory.
vivaastoria wrote: does an unrestricted RAR decompression algorithm really exist?
I don't know what you mean by “an unrestricted algorithm”, but the program to unrar has been supplied by RAR owners for free for years.
Фар есть инструмент, а не нянька. © 2009 DrKnS
vivaastoria

Post by vivaastoria »

Then the license information in the FAR Manager installer is incorrect and misleading. It enables the user to install (and even install by default) the software, which is actually distributed under a license different from the one the user was shown and has accepted.
HaRT

Post by HaRT »

vivaastoria, please feel free to file a defect — see “Bugs” link atop this page.
Фар есть инструмент, а не нянька. © 2009 DrKnS

Return to “Обсуждение Far Manager”