Copying or deleting files on Linux network drive

You have encountered a problem using Far Manager? Here you can get help.
ArsenoLupino

Post by ArsenoLupino »

I just started playing around with FAR on my Windows laptop. It is a great program and I would love to use it as much as possible.

From Windows, I can easily copy and delete files on my Raspberry pi network drive using ssh or WinSCP.

In FAR, I can see the network drive, but when I try to copy or delete files (or extract an archive), I get a message saying FAR cannot find the specified path.

Can anybody point me in the right direction to resolve the issue?

Thanks.
HaRT

Post by HaRT »

ArsenoLupino wrote: Fri 10 Jan, 2020 14:57 message saying FAR cannot find the specified path
Can you please make a text screenshot of a (small!) FAR window with panels and the error message. (Use Alt+Ins to enter the Screen Grabber mode and F1 for Help; use [code] or [ascii] to post the screenshot here.)
Фар есть инструмент, а не нянька. © 2009 DrKnS
ArsenoLupino

Post by ArsenoLupino »

Here it is. The message is in French, but it simply says that the specified path cannot be found. In this example, I am trying to copy from the network drive to itself (different folder).
Screen.jpg
HaRT

Post by HaRT »

! Message from: HaRT
ArsenoLupino wrote: Fri 10 Jan, 2020 15:37 Here it is
Text screenshots are preferred (for searching, even in French) unless color/font information is vital. Please do a text screenshot next time.
HaRT

Post by HaRT »

ArsenoLupino wrote: Fri 10 Jan, 2020 15:37 I am trying to copy from the network drive to itself (different folder).
Does Windows' copy Z:\Temp\c.txt Z:\Ebooks\c.txt copy the file successfully? Are you able to copy the file to a local drive (e.g. to %TEMP%) with FAR? Does the error happen for any file on that network drive or only for particular files?

20:19 MSK
Does the error repro with the latest FAR build?
Last edited by HaRT on Fri 10 Jan, 2020 18:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added a question about the latest FAR version
ArsenoLupino

Post by ArsenoLupino »

I am at work now. I will get back to you tonight but I can already tell you that this happens for all files on the network drive.
ArsenoLupino

Post by ArsenoLupino »

As expected,

Code: Select all

copy Z:\Temp\c.txt Z:\Ebooks\c.txt
does not work (acces denied).

I guess I need to read on Samba shares, more specifically how to make a shared folder on Linux writable by a Windows user.
ArsenoLupino

Post by ArsenoLupino »

Well, I'm not sure what I did (not much, really, other than list users and open and close my smb.conf file), but it seems to work now. I have been able to copy (from both a local Windows folder and a Linux folder to a different Linux folder), extract an archive in a Linux folder and delete all the resulting test files on the Linux folder.

One thing I did was add the ip address and a host name for my Raspberry Pi to the Windows host file (C:\\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts).

By the way, I am running the latest FAR build.
2useven10

Post by 2useven10 »

ArsenoLupino,
I guess you can copy from regular (non privileged) user.
And can not when privileges elevated (your screenshot shows privileged far).
ArsenoLupino

Post by ArsenoLupino »

FAR works fine. Initially, I did not realize that I was trying to write files or folders on the Linux drive (from a Windows laptop running FAR) where permissions did not allow. When this happens, if I decide that the permissions should allow writing by other users (than the file or folder owner), I modify the permissions (from a SSH session) and can proceed. Blame it on lack of experience with Linux permissions.

Return to “Support and Troubleshooting”