Full screen/uninstall issue

You have encountered a problem using Far Manager? Here you can get help.
Hanx0r

Post by Hanx0r »

I'm a long time user of Far. Recently I have an issue I can't deal with.

When I reinstall a new laptop, I install a freshly downloaded stable build and I import a copy of settings (/import far.config) that was exported from my previous far installation.
Just recently I started having the following issue: Regardless of the width and height set in the properties on the shortcut on the taskbar, Far opens so that it occupies entire desktop. No, not a full screen, but nearly. It completely ignores whatever parameters I set in the icon properties.
What's worse - uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't change a thing - after reinstallation the old config kicks in - since the app is not blue-ish, but dark-ish - the way I configure it.

How do I completely uninstall Far so that there's no trace in the system? I tried to delete all "Far manager" occurences in registry - to no avail.

So - two issues:
1) How do I remove Far completely, with all the traces, registry entries, etc?
2) is there any way to solve the "nealy-full-screen" issue? Is it known? I can post my config file if needed.
I'm pretty sure clean install behaves just fine.

The problem is I cannot do a clean install on my laptop now, and I don't really feel like reformatting it just for sake of Far.

Help?
DrKnS

Post by DrKnS »

Hanx0r, check your shortcut properties. If "Run:" is set to "Maximised" change it to "Normal window".

image.png

Far doesn't store its console size anywhere, but Windows does. If the method above won't help, try removing any subkeys containing "far.exe" under HKCU\Console.
Hanx0r

Post by Hanx0r »

OMFG. So stupid, stupid me. The "Normal Window" did the work.

Thanks a million!
Hanx0r

Post by Hanx0r »

Now the curious thins is how on earth importing far settings to far can affect the way this console app opens. But, heck, I'm not that curious now that the main issue was solved.

I'm pretty sure Far opened normally, when it was first installed, and I'm pretty sure I haven't changed the window mode option. So looks like something I do during laptop reinstallation makes Windows want open the app maximized. I'll make sure to do the investigation in 2 years, when I do another reinstall :)
DrKnS

Post by DrKnS »

Hanx0r wrote: Wed 21 Oct, 2020 19:08 I'm pretty sure Far opened normally, when it was first installed, and I'm pretty sure I haven't changed the window mode option.
Last year we changed the default mode in the the shortcuts that the installer creates. Because, ironically, quite a few people were asking the opposite question over and over again - "how to make that tiny window bigger"? :)
I think the installer currently respects all user-made changes in the shortcuts, so the window mode shouldn't reset on update.
Hanx0r

Post by Hanx0r »

All clear. As for the size - well, I go for "Wide" on both panels and for several copies of Far. But that's just me.
Thanks a lot for prompt help. I'm using Far... well, my install archives have a copy of Far 2 from 2011 :) I remember windows pocket pc plugin too.

It's one of the first software pieces I install on new machines. So much better than Windows Exploder :D
Last edited by Hanx0r on Thu 22 Oct, 2020 00:58, edited 1 time in total.
tthhhot2

Post by tthhhot2 »

I have the same issue, but the "Run Maximized" shortcut won't work. The subkey under HKCU/console doesn't have far.exe information.

Please help.

Return to “Support and Troubleshooting”