How to search for files faster in FAR manager!

You have encountered a problem using Far Manager? Here you can get help.
jonib

Post by jonib »

2 years ago I was searching for a faster way to search from FAR manager and found 2 programs here is my post in the old forum.
Now that a free program I discovered some time ago, has added a command line version that is usable in FAR manager, the search program is "Everything"
I see that the Russian forum has a discussion about it here

Using the Command-line Interface from this page its easy to put a command in the UserMenu and make a macro for ex Shift+Alt+F7 to search instantly all files on the computer, the command below will show a dialog box where you but the search text and the results will be put in a Temporary panel.

Code: Select all

tmp:+full <es.exe !?$EverythingSearch$Everything Search?!
You need to put the full path to es.exe or put es.exe in a directory included in the path.

jonib
chupakabra

Re: How to search for files faster in FAR manager!

Post by chupakabra »

There is a plugin available that can do the same thing Everything does: NTFS File Information. But there is one drawback - it requires a patched version of Far to function properly.
John Doe
Бюрократ

Post by John Doe »

jonib

You can use console alias:

DOSKEY es=tmp:+full <es.exe $*
Now type in command prompt:
es <search_string>
https://t.me/FarManager — Telegram чат
jonib

Post by jonib »

chupakabra wrote:There is a plugin available that can do the same thing Everything does: NTFS File Information. But there is one drawback - it requires a patched version of Far to function properly.
I've been meaning to test that plugin, and now I have, but I didn't find anything related to searching?

jonib
jonib

Post by jonib »

John Doe wrote:jonib

You can use console alias:

DOSKEY es=tmp:+full <es.exe $*
Now type in command prompt:
es <search_string>
I didn't get it to work, but I think I'm happy with Shift+Alt+F7 and typing in my search string with separate history, thanks anyway.

jonib
chupakabra

Post by chupakabra »

jonib, you need to open plugin panel, ensure that MFT index mode is selected (this is default), use Far built-in search (Alt+F7). Search over entire volume should take a couple of seconds.
jonib

Post by jonib »

chupakabra wrote:jonib, you need to open plugin panel, ensure that MFT index mode is selected (this is default),
OK, MFT index mode is on.
use Far built-in search (Alt+F7). Search over entire volume should take a couple of seconds.
Trying to search in different ways it don't seem to be that much faster, do I need to search in a specific way?

And there don't seem to be a patched version for FAR 1.75 and that is my main version until I get all functionality in FAR 2.0.

jonib
chupakabra

Post by chupakabra »

jonib wrote:Trying to search in different ways it don't seem to be that much faster, do I need to search in a specific way?
No.
jonib wrote:And there don't seem to be a patched version for FAR 1.75
There will be no patch for 1.75 because it is not open source.
Marton

"Everything" file find replacing Alt-F7

Post by Marton »

Hi all,

I have a small question:
Is it possible somehow to interface with the "Everything" file finding software?
Everything INSTANTANEOUSLY (<1sec) finds files on NTFS drives by having a database made from the USN Journal. It has a command line tool (es.exe) to which you pass the file to search for as an argument, and it will throw everything containing the search term in text mode.
Could it be possible to make a macro or something that could capture those results and send them to a panel? (like the option "Temporary Panel" on the internal Alt-F7 file finder).
Everything can be found at http://www.voidtools.com/
It even has an SDK which could probably be used to make an "official" FAR plugin!

Cheers,
Marton
Marton

"Everything" file find replacing Alt-F7

Post by Marton »

Hi all,

I posted this yesterday but somehow the post got deleted (database problem?) so here we go again :)

I'd like to know if it's possible to make a macro or plugin that could interface with the "Everything" file finding software (http://www.voidtools.com)
This program INSTANTANEOUSLY finds files and folders on all hard disks in less than a second, and it would be great having it as an Alt-F7 alternative.
It has a command line tool to which you pass the file to search as an argument, and it throws all the occurrences in text mode. Maybe the output can be adapted for sending it to a Far panel?

Thanks in advance!
Marton

Post by Marton »

Hahaha sorry :crazy:
I did not figure out my post was moved :D
mrQQ

indexing network drives for search

Post by mrQQ »

hi,

is there a way to make FAR Manager use windows search index or something else? I have a big NAS with network shares, and it's slow to search among them using simple search..
jonib

Re: indexing network drives for search

Post by jonib »

mrQQ wrote:hi,

is there a way to make FAR Manager use windows search index or something else? I have a big NAS with network shares, and it's slow to search among them using simple search..
I use Everything search to search fast local files and also on then network. There is a CLI interface so I have it integrated with FAR both to do the search from within FAR and also get the results in an temporary panel.
It's totally free.

Example use in FAR from an old post here.

jonib
rattle

Post by rattle »

Here is another plugin that supports Everything in FAR:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=11195

Return to “Support and Troubleshooting”