File sorting - english rather than national

You have encountered a problem using Far Manager? Here you can get help.
pepak

File sorting - english rather than national

Post by pepak »

I wonder: Can I somehow force FAR Manager 2.0 to sort according to english (or even better, ASCII) order rather than national order?
Maximus5

Re: File sorting - english rather than national

Post by Maximus5 »

No, imho. Because of using CompareString(0,...|SORT_STRINGSORT,...
This way has another bug: file "aaa-aaa.txt" will be upper than "aaa aaa.txt" :(
Игорь Юдинцев

Post by Игорь Юдинцев »

There has been an extensive flame on this topic in Russian part of the forum; a patch can be found there which allows to delegate file panel sorting to plugins.
pepak

Post by pepak »

Unfortunately, I read russian only very slowly, and can't write not at all. I have no idea how to search for that patch :-(
pepak

Post by pepak »

Actually, thinking about it - and can I change the national sort order itself, somewhere in Windows? I wouldn't mind switching to ASCII sort in all of my applications, not just FAR...
Centaur

Post by Centaur »

ASCII sorting will not work correctly for Unicode names, even if you extend it to compare Unicode code points. Because many characters (especially ones with diacritics) can be represented either in precomposed form (e.g. U+00E1 Latin Small Letter A With Acute) or as a combination of a base character and a non-spacing diacritic (e.g. U+0061 Latin Small Letter A followed by U+0301 Combining Acute Accent). For all intents and purposes, U+00E1 and the sequence of U+0061 U+0301 are equivalent; yet codepoint-based sort would put them in widely different places.

(Also, NTFS has a bug here: I have successfully created two directories, one with a precomposed character and the other with a combining sequence, and they actually behave as two distinct entities.)

Return to “Support and Troubleshooting”