FAR Editor + TotalCmd - create undeletable files.

You have encountered a problem using Far Manager? Here you can get help.
olesio

FAR Editor + TotalCmd - create undeletable files.

Post by olesio »

Hello.

At start I want to say in version 1.70 of FAR everything was ok. But now when I try to use FAR Manager version 2.0 (build 1807) and Total Commander 7.56a under Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit PL with SP 1 - I have following problem. In Total Commander settings for F4 key editor I have: C:\Program Files\FAR\far.exe -edit "%1" - and when I press under TotalCmd Shift + F4 and enter new file name WITHOUT ANY EXTENSION for example: pft (length is not important) and save new file (empty or not, but F2 or Escape when not empty do the same) the FAR create file under name "pft. " (filename + dot + space like dir command show it) and I can not delete or rename this file from Windows Explorer or Total Commander. The only temporary solution is set editor command in TotalCmd to: C:\Program Files\FAR\far.exe -edit %1 (no quotes before and after %1). But in this case when I want to create file: some long filename - I got visible name SOMELO~1 in editor. Another solution to delete undeleted file is rename it only under FAR to some correct name and delete it under FAR. Like I wrote in version 1.70 this problem does not exist. And I prefer to use TotalCmd but with viewer and editor from FAR. Please answer. And sorry for my bad English.
olesio

Re: FAR Editor + TotalCmd - create undeletable files.

Post by olesio »

Ah sorry, but I forgot to write, wnen file with bad name is created also file with correct name is created probable by Total Commander, but file is empty (have 0 bytes size).
DrKnS

Post by DrKnS »

olesio wrote:the FAR create file under name "pft. " (filename + dot + space like dir command show it)
Far creates exactly what it was asked for.
If you look at the command line of far.exe process (for example, using process exploper tool) you will see that tc provides file name as "pft. " instead of just "pft".
Far 1.70 works here only because it was a non-unicode program: when such program creates a file or directory windows silently removes all trailing dots and spaces from it's name.

So it's a bug in tc and there's nothing we can do.
You should contact their support to fix it.
olesio

Post by olesio »

Ok, so now when I know it is TotalCmd bug - I will report it on TotalCmd forum. Thanks for reply.
Centaur

Post by Centaur »

Why would you even want to use Total Commander and FAR together?
olesio

Post by olesio »

For simple reason. I prefer Total Commander, but it do not have good and useful editor like this in FAR. Also in Windows 7 FAR Window cannot be maximized to full screen with Alt+Enter and Total Commander have bettr features - much useful for me, but like I wrote it do not have any good editor which keyboard layout and block selection like this from FAR. Maybe reasons above are not good reasons for You guys, but it is reason for me ;/
Maximus5

Post by Maximus5 »

You advance only one argument: cannot be maximized to full screen with Alt+Enter. It's not quite true - conemu+far can.
Weertolon

Post by Weertolon »

Maximus5 wrote:You advance only one argument: cannot be maximized to full screen with Alt+Enter. It's not quite true - conemu+far can.
Never heard about such thing. But still it's more pleasant to use Far in full screen mode))
loki

Post by loki »

I'm using ALT+F9.
or in win7 key: WIN+UP, WIN+LEFT, WIN+RIGHT...

Return to “Support and Troubleshooting”