utf-8 with ftp connection (far 2)

You have encountered a problem using Far Manager? Here you can get help.
nashaden

utf-8 with ftp connection (far 2)

Post by nashaden »

Hello,

In local VIEW or EDIT the UTF-8 files are read OK, but when I connect to ftp with FAR2 ftp plugin, I can't see polish chars in files in UTF-8. How to overcome this problem?
Wave

Re: utf-8 with ftp connection (far 2)

Post by Wave »

FTP-plugin does not support unicode. Use NetBox instead.
Пользуюсь ФАРом больше 20 лет © собирательный.
HaRT

Post by HaRT »

Wave
Particular plugin used to download the files should have nothing to do with how they are displayed in Viewer/Editor.

nashaden
Did you try to access via FTP exactly the same files as are ok locally?
Фар есть инструмент, а не нянька. © 2009 DrKnS
nashaden

Post by nashaden »

HaRT wrote:Wave
Particular plugin used to download the files should have nothing to do with how they are displayed in Viewer/Editor.

nashaden
Did you try to access via FTP exactly the same files as are ok locally?
Hm... Now that you mentioned it I did. They were all messed up: local and remote. I wrote “were” as I have already found a solution. When FAR language is set to English (F9->Options->Languages) and I edit a file, both local and remote, I can change the code page with SHIFT+8. In Polish FAR translation the option SHIFT+8 is also available, but is translated in an awkward way. ‘CodePag’ should be sth like ‘StrKod’, but instead is ‘Tabela’ which stands for ‘table’ in English – that’s why I could not find it.

Anyway, everything seems to be fine. I’ve already tested writing some polish special chars with FAR on a remote file and it works perfectly fine. Still the FTP plugin that comes with FAR has some strange behaviour: when I edit a file and make some changes F2 should save it, but it does not – when I ESC the file then it asks for saving with overwrite. Not intuitive for me – if I edit the file and press F2 it should be obvious I want to overwrite. Also, it should be possible to set utf-8 as default code page saving time upon editing a file for the firs time. Strangely enough a file that was already edited, even if not saved after editing, opens the next time with UTF-8 code page set from the start.
DrKnS

Post by DrKnS »

nashaden wrote:In Polish FAR translation the option SHIFT+8 is also available, but is translated in an awkward way. ‘CodePag’ should be sth like ‘StrKod’, but instead is ‘Tabela’ which stands for ‘table’ in English – that’s why I could not find it.
Unfortunately, developers do not speak Polish and the translation provided by volunteers. If you discover any errors or inaccuracies, you are welcome to fix them.

Return to “Support and Troubleshooting”