Browsing MSP filles

You have encountered a problem using Far Manager? Here you can get help.
Anakunda

Browsing MSP filles

Post by Anakunda »

HI unlike MSI archives some but not all MSP archives can't be handled by FAR default. Is there some plugin or external program that could list a content of MSP file?
HaRT

Re: Browsing MSP filles

Post by HaRT »

If you can read Russian, please see discussion in the Observer plugin's thread.
In short, MSP files contain kind of specialized patches which are meaningful only given the „parent” MSI/MSM package.
Фар есть инструмент, а не нянька. © 2009 DrKnS
Anakunda

Post by Anakunda »

I have Observer but as I know it doesnot handle all MSP files. And I'm sure these non-browsable still contain a real installation files (500MB and bigger).
HaRT

Post by HaRT »

Do you have a decent (in terms of size) sample MSP file (a link to) which you can submit at the Observer thread for the plugin's author to have a look at?
Anakunda

Post by Anakunda »

A sample of nonbrowseable MSP is here:

Code: Select all

http://www.mediafire.com/?lf3y8ppm70mcwfe
I can provide more files but probably anybody can find enough MSP files in C:\Windows\Installer.
The browseable MSPs are identified as CAB archive, don't know if handled by Observer or MultiArc anyway...
HaRT

Post by HaRT »

Anakunda
I'm not going to solve your problem for you. Please read my previous message more attentively:
1. I suggest you to submit a browseable file at the Observer's thread, not here (for it to be read by the plugin's author).
2. The file has (a) to be of moderate size and (b) to contain packaged files (as opposed to obscure data patches).
Anakunda

Post by Anakunda »

Ok, I can't post on rusian forum.
HaRT

Post by HaRT »

Anakunda wrote:Ok, I can't post on rusian forum.
Most plugin authors can read English so please feel free to post in plugins discussion threads in English.
HaRT

Post by HaRT »

Anakunda wrote:A sample of nonbrowseable MSP is here
I've had a look at the file — it's an MS Compound Storage file browsable even by 7-Zip-based plugins. Among others, it contains a stream (file) named PATCH_CAB which is a valid CAB archive containing 4 files.
Obviously it's not a type of file one would need Observer for. Do you have MSPs that do contain whole files not extractable by known plugins?
Anakunda

Post by Anakunda »

Interseting. I can`t enter the package with FAR using PgDn and ArcLite plugin + Observer plugin. I can't even enter with FAR using MultiArc + ArcLite + Observer.
I only can enter by F11 + ArcLite + Open archive.
I have tested all msp files successfully with Arc\Lite. So ArcLite is eclipsed by another plugin. So now how to priorize ArcLite when opening MSP files.
Ariman

Post by Ariman »

Anakunda wrote:I have Observer but as I know it doesnot handle all MSP files. And I'm sure these non-browsable still contain a real installation files (500MB and bigger).
Observer doesn't open MSP files at all. Even if they contain CAB file they can not be used for installation. The main reason is that proper file tree data is contained in parent MSI file. MSP just doesn't have that info, it references files by unique id which can be resolved only by reading parent file. So if you want to open that CAB anyway you should use Arclite. It can extract CAB from compound document (which MSP is).
Anakunda wrote:So now how to priorize ArcLite when opening MSP files.
Plugins are processed based on alphabetical order of their dll names.

Return to “Support and Troubleshooting”