Enter vs Shift+Enter when executing files...

You have encountered a problem using Far Manager? Here you can get help.
xxbbcc

Enter vs Shift+Enter when executing files...

Post by xxbbcc »

I'm still using Far 1.75 but this issue is the same in Far 3.0 anyway (using latest stable build). This is on Windows 8, running Far as Administrator with UAC off.

I made a change in Control Panel -> Default Programs -> Set Default Programs -> Firefox -> Set this program as default. Before this change, when I pressed Shift+Enter in Far on an .htm file, Firefox would start as expected (I set Firefox as the "default browser" upon its first startup).

After pressing that Set this program as default button in the Control Panel, the behavior changed (but only when in Far). If Firefox is running, the .htm file is opened as expected. If Firefox is not running, pressing Shift+Enter starts Firefox but I get this error dialog:

Code: Select all

Firefox Safe Mode

Safe Mode is a special mode of Firefox that can be used to ...
I think this happens because now somehow the Shift key is passed to Firefox - according to http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/tro ... -safe-mode, holding Shift when starting Firefox forces Safe Mode.

I used Process Explorer and the Firefox command-line sent by Far seems correct:

Code: Select all

C:\..\Firefox.exe -osint -url "\...\x.htm"
Since this only happens from Far (1.75 & 3.0), I'm trying to understand how pressing Enter and Shift+Enter are implemented in Far differently that causes Firefox to think it needs to start in safe mode.

Everything was working fine before I made the default change in Control Panel but I have no idea really what changed in the registry and I don't know how to undo it. Any ideas would be appreciated.
HaRT

Re: Enter vs Shift+Enter when executing files...

Post by HaRT »

xxbbcc wrote:somehow the Shift key is passed to Firefox
I suppose Firefox just checks the Shift key state when starting in order to choose from Safe/Normal mode.
xxbbcc wrote:Everything was working fine before I made the default change in Control Panel
Try to release the Shift key as fast as possible, at the same moment as Enter. :-)
Фар есть инструмент, а не нянька. © 2009 DrKnS

Return to “Support and Troubleshooting”