do not lock folders

Something is missing in Far Manager? You have a great idea that should be heard? Write here.
alskor

do not lock folders

Post by alskor »

one of the best improvements for FAR would be to work more like "mc" on *nix:
if I have a folder opened in FAR, this should NOT block "delete" operations on this folder in other programs. this is the most annoying thing in far.
imagine someone forgot to exit FAR and some folders are locked on a network device...
Centaur

Re: do not lock folders

Post by Centaur »

Locking of a directory is a byproduct of it being the current working directory of a process. This is a limitation of Windows. While *nix allows to delete files and directories which are in use, Windows (mostly) does not.

Many plugins rely on the current working directory being the directory that is shown on the active panel. If FAR is rearchitected not to change the working directory, they will (most probably) stop working.

On the other hand, the notion of current directory has a limitation that it may not be longer than a certain length. Not changing to every directory would allow to work with very long paths.

And on the third hand, external applications would still need to be started in the current directory as shown on the active panel, which brings the length limitation back.
alskor

Post by alskor »

I understand it might me hard to resolve this problem, but this is what developers should concentrate on, I think. :)
it's way more useful than minor interface improvements.
Zeroes
Мультикопипастер Броадкастер

Post by Zeroes »

alskor

I think (my opinion) first prioritet must be teach FAR coffee cook, without this feature in FAR - path to nowhere....
--- Zeroes & Ones ---
Px

Post by Px »

Zeroes
Agree! :)
alskor

Post by alskor »

guys, I've been using FAR since 1998 or so. I'm telling you - this is really inconvenient. you won't go far with FAR if you don't care what users need and prefer to work on what you like.
cheers.
Andrey Budko

Post by Andrey Budko »

alskor wrote:I've been using FAR since 1998 or so
You are the one.
I am 13.
alskor

Post by alskor »

I guess one of the possible solutions would be to always keep "current" folder set to root
while showing the user the contents of the folder he wants. when an action is to be performed on a folder (or inside one), then "current" can be _temporarily_ set to what the user needs. after the action is completed, revert "current" to root.
it's just a wild idea, but maybe it'll work.

I'm glad someone finally started working on FAR improvements after 8 years and I'd really like these improvements to be useful, not just minor interface tweaks.

удачи в любом случае!
alskor

Post by alskor »

я открывал запрос http://bugs.farmanager.com/view.php?id=1234 - его закрыли без объяснения. что случилось с этой фичей? она была добавлена 29.09.2009.
saf2825

Post by saf2825 »

I think it's not just the Far's Problem.
It's related to the windows operating system.
Because I have this problem with Windows Explorer too.
And any other applications which open a folder or a file.
I think far should not sacrifice the real time update of a folder content by complicating it's way of accessing files and folders.
There is a tiny, useful, and free program that can solve this problem in windows, not just Far.
You can find it here:
http://lockhunter.com/

Return to “Suggestions and Ideas”