Preserve hard links while copying

Something is missing in Far Manager? You have a great idea that should be heard? Write here.
szir

Post by szir »

It would be nice to have the option for a copy to preserve hard links.
1/ A folder copy to the same ntfs volume could create hard links for files that already have more than 1 hard link. (thoug this option is less interresting for me)
2/ Copy of folders to a different ntfs volume could preserve links between copied files. Not copy the same file (with many hard links) many times, but copy only once and create hard links for other instances.

My example:
I want to copy part of a drive (volume) that has hard links (and directory junctions) to another hdd. A simple copy would not preserve hard (and soft) links (though it would be a nice feature). So I would end up with duplicate files wasting space (it might even run out of space, while copying between same size partitions).

Alternative A: mirror a volume (and break it) if it's a dynamic disk, B: use ntbackup to back up and restore selected folders if have enoug space for the temoprary .bkf.
pukan1

Re: Preserve hard links while copying

Post by pukan1 »

Yes, that would be great!
szir

Post by szir »

I would still like this feature...
Especially since Windows 7 the ntbackup workaround is not available... :(
nuldev

Post by nuldev »

Yes, that would great. Now I have to use FFC on command line to copy preserving hardlinks.
http://www.uwe-sieber.de/filetools_e.html

Return to “Suggestions and Ideas”