Some FAR2 -> FAR3 transition annoyances

You have encountered a problem using Far Manager? Here you can get help.
pepak

Post by pepak » Thu 27 Mar, 2014 07:15

Hi!

I am once again trying to switch from FAR2 to FAR3. I have mostly reached the state I want, but there are several annoyances that I don't seem to be able to overcome:

1) I have a file in the editor, select half of the lines, copy them to Clipboard and paste them into e.g. browser.Then I return to the editor, where the lines are still selected (persistent blocks are on). I want to select some other lines, so I press SHIFT+DOWN repeatedly. In FAR2, this resulted in a new block being selected, starting at the place the old block ended. In FAR3, I don't get a new block; instead, the old block gets extended. Is there some setting which would return the FAR2 behavior?

2) In FAR2, if I tried to change the codepage in the editor with SHIFT+F8, UTF-8 had the shortcut key "5" (because "6" was the shortcut for UTF-7). In FAR3, the shortcut for UTF-8 is "6". Can I change the shortcut to "5"?

3) In FAR3's Viewer, I can't F2 Unwrap binary files, although unwrap does work fine with text files. Can I get Unwrap back? Or, even better, can I collapse sequences of 0x00 (possibly everything from 0x00 to 0x31, except for \r, \n, \t)?

4) Suppose that drive X: is mapped to a network share \\server\share. If I press CTRL+PGUP in the root of X:, the drive selection dialog appears. Can I return the FAR2's behavior, which called up the Network Browser plugin and displayed all shares on server \\server?

5) Can I change the default Access Rights setting in the Copy Dialog? In FAR2, this was done though HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Far2\System\CopySecurityOptions referenced in some TechInfo.

That's all for now. Thanks for any help!

Shmuel

Re: Some FAR2 -> FAR3 transition annoyances

Post by Shmuel » Thu 27 Mar, 2014 08:46

pepak wrote:2) In FAR2, if I tried to change the codepage in the editor with SHIFT+F8, UTF-8 had the shortcut key "5" (because "6" was the shortcut for UTF-7). In FAR3, the shortcut for UTF-8 is "6". Can I change the shortcut to "5"?
Why do you want to change it? And what if somebody else wouldn't be happy with that change?

pepak

Post by pepak » Thu 27 Mar, 2014 08:57

Shmuel wrote:
pepak wrote:2) In FAR2, if I tried to change the codepage in the editor with SHIFT+F8, UTF-8 had the shortcut key "5" (because "6" was the shortcut for UTF-7). In FAR3, the shortcut for UTF-8 is "6". Can I change the shortcut to "5"?
Why do you want to change it?
Because I like "5".
And what if somebody else wouldn't be happy with that change?
That's why it could work as an option. In just about every other menu I can select a shortcut key by F4, why not in Code Pages?

John Doe
Бюрократ

Post by John Doe » Thu 27 Mar, 2014 09:59

pepak wrote:In FAR2, this resulted in a new block being selected, starting at the place the old block ended. In FAR3, I don't get a new block; instead, the old block gets extended. Is there some setting which would return the FAR2 behavior?
Macro
pepak wrote:Can I change the shortcut to "5"?
Macro
pepak wrote:3) In FAR3's Viewer, I can't F2 Unwrap binary files, although unwrap does work fine with text files. Can I get Unwrap back? Or, even better, can I collapse sequences of 0x00 (possibly everything from 0x00 to 0x31, except for \r, \n, \t)?
Actually you can un/wrap in Text mode, same as in far 2.
But binary files open in Dump mode by default (it is new feature of Far 3).
Press ShiftF4 to select Text mode (or write macro to do it, and assign it to F2)
pepak wrote:5) Can I change the default Access Rights setting in the Copy Dialog? In FAR2, this was done though HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Far2\System\CopySecurityOptions referenced in some TechInfo.
Old techinfo's are now available as options in far:config dialog.

pepak

Post by pepak » Thu 27 Mar, 2014 10:29

Thanks, John Doe.
John Doe wrote:
pepak wrote:In FAR2, this resulted in a new block being selected, starting at the place the old block ended. In FAR3, I don't get a new block; instead, the old block gets extended. Is there some setting which would return the FAR2 behavior?
Macro
I am not sure how to do this one, though the "5" for UTF8 and "F3' for setting the text mode work fine.

Very cool thing, the far:config!

John Doe
Бюрократ

Post by John Doe » Thu 27 Mar, 2014 10:39

pepak wrote:
John Doe wrote:
pepak wrote:In FAR2, this resulted in a new block being selected, starting at the place the old block ended.
Macro
I am not sure how to do this one
You can define macro on CtrlIns and add there additional "Ins Ins".

As for unwrapping dump: try this macro

Code: Select all

local F = far.Flags
Macro { description="Unwrap Dump -> switch to Text mode";
  area="Viewer"; key="F2";
  id="BC833312-6D8F-4395-94A5-57F6FACCF8E1";
  condition=function()
    return viewer.GetInfo().CurMode.ViewMode==F.VMT_DUMP
  end;
  action=function()
    viewer.SetMode(nil,{Type=F.VSMT_VIEWMODE,iParam=F.VMT_TEXT})
    viewer.SetMode(nil,{Type=F.VSMT_WRAP,iParam=0,Flags=F.VSMFL_REDRAW})
  end;
}

pepak

Post by pepak » Thu 27 Mar, 2014 10:44

That works too. I used a simple "F3 ShiftF4 T" mapped to F3 :-)
Thanks.

LigH

Post by LigH » Thu 24 Apr, 2014 16:35

I have a lot of FTP servers with stored passwords I can access easily in Far 2.0; but to upgrade to Far 3.0, I would have to remember/retrieve them to enter them while creating new FTP accounts in its different client. Migrating them will probably not be easily possible?

John Doe
Бюрократ

Post by John Doe » Fri 25 Apr, 2014 09:09

It is possible to transfer old settings to new NetBox plugin with this macro: http://forum.farmanager.com/viewtopic.p ... 38#p108838
Or (if old FarFTP plugin works good for you) you can keep using it: http://plugring.farmanager.com/plugin.php?pid=916

LigH

Post by LigH » Fri 25 Apr, 2014 09:22

8) Thank you, will try that.
__

Ftp2Netbox.lua has to be copied to %FARPROFILE%\Macros\scripts (usually in %APPDATA%\Roaming\Far manager\Profile) to be activated (restart Far 3 then).

In Far 2, you can copy the FTP session information out of the FarFTP panel into a directory; a matching *.ftp file will be created (limitations exist for multiple entries for the same host, but e.g. with different login names).

Then, in Far 3, copy this *.ftp file back into the NetBox panel when this macro is active.

Return to “Support and Troubleshooting”