How to assign GUID to Info->PluginMenu.Guids

A place where plug-in developers can share their knowledge and experience.
jonib

Post by jonib »

Working with the HelloWorld plugin as basis still

in the function:

Code: Select all

void WINAPI GetPluginInfoW(struct PluginInfo *Info)
I'm trying to assing a GUID to:

Info->PluginMenu.Guids
Problem is I can't figure out anything that works.

I declare a new GUID like this:

GUID MenuId;
And add in the correct values, but can't figure out what to do? I replaced MenuGuid from the code:

Info->PluginMenu.Guids=&MenuId;
But I don't get the correct GUID showing in FAR plugins info.

Should I post these kinds of questions in separate topics or in my main plugin topic?

jonib
Last edited by jonib on Thu 22 Oct, 2015 18:14, edited 3 times in total.
HaRT

Post by HaRT »

jonib wrote: Should I post these kinds of questions in separate topics or in my main plugin topic?
Separate, especially considering this:
jonib wrote: please no more unrelated to Python suggestions
Фар есть инструмент, а не нянька. © 2009 DrKnS
jonib

Post by jonib »

HaRT wrote:Separate,
OK
especially considering this:
jonib wrote: please no more unrelated to Python suggestions
As I'm doing the plugin in C++ I only meant I wasn't interested in doing plugins in other languages unless they helped me support Python. I could have probably worded it differently but frustration and having English as my third language that's what came out. :bojan:

jonib
jonib

Post by jonib »

Checking the FAR API manual (after translation) it says "Info->PluginMenu.Guids" wants an "address of an array of GUIDs" unfortunately it didn't help me figure out how I need to define the variable. So still would like some hints.

jonib
jonib

Post by jonib »

So finally this crisis is over. :Yahoo!:

When trying to define the GUID as an array I used this:

GUID MenuId[1];
But it didn't work.

But using this below:

GUID *MenuId = new GUID[1];
This works. I assumed they would have more or less the same effect but what do I know.

I'm convinced that the designer of C/C++ is a sadist. Designed to make me waste time on stooped stuff. :evil:

jonib
DrKnS

Post by DrKnS »

jonib wrote:When trying to define the GUID as an array I used this:

GUID MenuId[1];
But it didn't work.
Sure it didn't, if you returned address of a local variable.
As mentioned in PluginMenuItem description, all pointers passed through this structure must be valid after returning from GetPluginInfoW, so you can't use local variables. Use static or global ones.
But using this below:

GUID *MenuId = new GUID[1];
This works. I assumed they would have more or less the same effect but what do I know.
Now you have a memory leak.

HelloWorld plugin has a working example of how to do it. MenuGuid is a global variable defined in a separate header, guid.hpp, all you had to do is replace numbers there.
jonib

[Solved]How to assign GUID to Info->PluginMenu.Guids

Post by jonib »

DrKnS wrote:Sure it didn't, if you returned address of a local variable.
As mentioned in PluginMenuItem description, all pointers passed through this structure must be valid after returning from GetPluginInfoW, so you can't use local variables. Use static or global ones.
I think I'm starting to understand, thanks.
Now you have a memory leak.
But it works, trallalalla :oops:
HelloWorld plugin has a working example of how to do it. MenuGuid is a global variable defined in a separate header, guid.hpp, all you had to do is replace numbers there.
As I'm defining the GUID in Python, and sending it via a function to C++ I can't change and use the defined MenuGuid, right?

So would this work then?

static GUID *MenuId = new GUID[1];
Or would that be too optimistic?

linking final.32W.gcc/PythonFAR.dll
d:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.8.1/../../..\libmingw32.a(tlsthrd.o):(.text+0x10): undefined reference to `EnterCriticalSection@4'
d:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.8.1/../../..\libmingw32.a(tlsthrd.o):(.text+0x54): undefined reference to `LeaveCriticalSection@4'
d:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.8.1/../../..\libmingw32.a(tlsthrd.o):(.text+0xbd): undefined reference to `EnterCriticalSection@4'
d:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.8.1/../../..\libmingw32.a(tlsthrd.o):(.text+0xda): undefined reference to `LeaveCriticalSection@4'
d:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.8.1/../../..\libmingw32.a(tlsthrd.o):(.text+0x128): undefined reference to `EnterCriticalSection@4'
d:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.8.1/../../..\libmingw32.a(tlsthrd.o):(.text+0x158): undefined reference to `LeaveCriticalSection@4'
d:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.8.1/../../..\libmingw32.a(tlsthrd.o):(.text+0x17c): undefined reference to `LeaveCriticalSection@4'
d:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.8.1/../../..\libmingw32.a(tlsthrd.o):(.text+0x1ea): undefined reference to `DeleteCriticalSection@4'
d:/mingw/bin/../lib/gcc/mingw32/4.8.1/../../..\libmingw32.a(tlsthrd.o):(.text+0x218): undefined reference to `InitializeCriticalSection@4'
ertr000001.o:(.rdata+0x0): undefined reference to `_pei386_runtime_relocator'
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status
../makefile_gcc_target_inc:35: recipe for target 'final.32W.gcc/PythonFAR.dll' failed
mingw32-make.EXE: *** [final.32W.gcc/PythonFAR.dll] Error 1
So that didn't work too well. :o

So how do I declare a variable that is acceptable? I don't want to waste another day trying to figure this out.

jonib
2useven10

Post by 2useven10 »

jonib wrote:I don't want to waste another day trying to figure this out.
All your project is wasting time. If you will not try to figure out what you do.
jonib

Post by jonib »

2useven10 wrote:All your project is wasting time. If you will not try to figure out what you do.
What?!, is this supposed to be some kind of encouragement. Where did I write that I wouldn't try to figure out what to do? I'm just trying to minimize wasting of limited resourses (My patience, motivation and my sanity)

jonib
2useven10

Post by 2useven10 »

jonib wrote: So I am tired to wait for someone to add Python support for Far manager, so I'll try myself.

I did some basic courses in C/C++ about 20 years ago and I really never liked to code in it. So I'm rusty/have no idea what I'm doing.
Do not waste your time. You have not enough skills for that task.

Return to “Plug-In Developers”