Far inside a windows docker container

You have encountered a problem using Far Manager? Here you can get help.
drfie

Post by drfie »

Hi,
I am new to Far, so maybe I am doing something wrong. I try to use Far inside a docker container (for those who do not know: it is a lightweight sortof virtual machine in text mode). Since I cannot use any GUI application there, Far is an obvious choice to use for browsing files and editing text. It sortof works. What does not work is:
1. I cannot type any character anywhere (editor, command line) in Far that would be nonalphanumeric. I.e. I cannot type ,./;'[] etc
2. The frame character is "?". When run with far.exe /ag, it looks ok, so no big problem.

I installed it like this: I installed it on my PC, exported the settings. Donwloaded 7z archive of Far and extracted it in the container and imported the settings from my PC.

Any ideas what I should do?
Thanks.
HaRT

Post by HaRT »

drfie wrote: Wed 25 Apr, 2018 11:51 I cannot type ,./;'[] etc
Can you type them in plain console (CMD, PowerShell) window without FAR?
Фар есть инструмент, а не нянька. © 2009 DrKnS
drfie

Post by drfie »

Yes, it works in the console.
What I noticed when playing with is, that you e.g. cannot change the console CodePage (with chcp), it is always on 65001 (utf8 I think). It is actually a console run in the host, the container (guest) only reads and writes to it. But when not attached to the guest, the console code page is 852 and can be changed to anything I want.
Also Far works normally on my host system (PC).
BTW: I forgot to write it, but I use Far30b5151 x64

Return to “Support and Troubleshooting”