How do I rename folders that have illegal characters?

You have encountered a problem using Far Manager? Here you can get help.
thirdwolf

Post by thirdwolf »

Hello.

First, I have to say I have no idea what I'm doing with this app, and couldn't find a clear guide. I saw it recommended online for a similar problem to what I am experiencing. This is my problem:

I have two folders for 2 different albums of an artist in my music library, which some how have illegal characters.

I can not iopen them, rename them, or delete them with Windows ten. A filer Shredder doesnt work either. I simly get the error message that the system can not find said folders.

See this pic below. They both have full stops in the folder name. I want to remove the full-stops so I can see if here is music inside or otherwise just delete them ad replace.

Can anyone help, please?

EDIT,embedded image / link not allowed, hopefully description is enough, but I have a screenshot hosted on i(dot)ibb(dot)co/PmKvV6M/c1.jpg
pepak

Post by pepak »

Move the cursor to the name, press SHIFT+F6, edit, pres ENTER. FAR can handle the ending dot easily.
thirdwolf

Post by thirdwolf »

pepak wrote: Fri 08 Mar, 2019 18:11 Move the cursor to the name, press SHIFT+F6, edit, pres ENTER. FAR can handle the ending dot easily.
Thank you for the reply
Sorry, but I don't quite understand. Am I to do that in FAR? How do I get it selected in FAR first? If I try shift &f6 in the windows explorer it doesnt work.. I tried right click the folder and "open FAR here" but in the FAR shell it still has the path listed as the appdata\local\far_manager_x64. I tried typing in the path for the folder, including the dot... shit and f6 didnt change anything, I typed it again and press return, i got a brief screen of text in the window but it was too quick to read and then it returned to the default path of the far manager...

Obviously I am doing something wrong, because I dont yet understand how to use it functions
DrKnS

Post by DrKnS »

thirdwolf wrote: Fri 08 Mar, 2019 23:10 I dont yet understand how to use it functions
Pressing F1 on your keyboard could be a good starting point then.
thirdwolf

Post by thirdwolf »

DrKnS wrote: Sat 09 Mar, 2019 00:14 Pressing F1 on your keyboard could be a good starting point then.
As I explained, windows system will not handle the folders with the illegal characters. I was told Far Manager would fix that, I am simply asking for help with how exactly to do that. I can find now guide for it, the FAQ is all in Russian.
thirdwolf

Post by thirdwolf »

Nevermind, I researched further and used DelinvFile instead, very straight forward.

DrKnS, you're a dick.
HaRT

Post by HaRT »

! Message from: HaRT
thirdwolf wrote: Sat 09 Mar, 2019 01:20DrKnS, you're a dick.
You are mistaken, and it was your last mistake here.
Фар есть инструмент, а не нянька. © 2009 DrKnS
DrKnS

Post by DrKnS »

thirdwolf wrote: Sat 09 Mar, 2019 01:20 DrKnS, you're a dick.
And proud.

Dear, if you have a chainsaw and don't know which end is up, you probably won't go to a local pub to find out, would you?
Them chaps might suggest something, but your experiments could cost you an arm and a leg (literally), so you probably would read the manual first, wouldn't you?

So why do you feel offended here? With your creative approach of entering random commands and pressing random keys without even basic understanding of what you are doing you could (and probably will) eventually break something beyond repair. Read the manual, it's there for a reason.
pepak

Post by pepak »

Let's not be too hard on him. First, he can't defend himself anymore, and second, it is a fact that FAR is very unfriendly to new users. It's a tool for people who use it daily for most of their work and it's easy for a beginner to get lost. Telling them to study the manual doesn't really help if they don't have any idea of what an orthodox file manager is and how it works. And, really, if the user only wants to perform one specific task, there is little point in learning all that.

Return to “Support and Troubleshooting”