Clink — bash-style command line completion

Here you can discuss about your favorite plug-in.
troet

Post by troet »

I very much love the unix-bash-style tab completion and never got comfortable with the far way of displaying a selection list for that.
Now I stumbled upon clink. (I'm not able to post a link to it. Please find it on mridgers dot github dot io/clink/). Some sites on the Internet suggest that it should integrate with Conemu and Far Manager.

But I cannot get it to do what I want: The Tab completion only works with conemu alone, on the Far command line no key bindings seem to be active. And I find no way of assigning bindings to the clink functions.

Has anyone managed to get it to work?
Last edited by HaRT on Wed 08 Nov, 2017 13:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added explanation to the Topic Subject
HaRT

Clink

Post by HaRT »

troet wrote: Wed 08 Nov, 2017 07:52Has anyone managed to get it to work?
Ideas to integrate Clink into FAR were raised several times in the Russian-language part of the forum over the years but nobody made even a prototype AFAIK.
Фар есть инструмент, а не нянька. © 2009 DrKnS
Xerox

Post by Xerox »

My IMHO is, that FAR by itself is kind of "clink".
It makes console more feature rich, or kind of shell.
I would not say that cLink is richer or better, or add something to already existing FAR abilities.
You may implement bash-like behaviour in FAR with some lua-macros for example
However, historically that is something against traditional common practices using FAR.

BTW, that is the problem with FAR completion?
it has a few decent option to adjust as needed:
troet

Post by troet »

Coming back to this is old thread, I'd like to point out some of the differences between the FAR aproach and the bash style one.
The great thing about bash (and therefore potentially clink) is, that there are existing and extensible scripts for expanding command lines in a context sensitive manner.
That means that for a lot of commands there exist scripts to include where if you type for example "ssh tom@s<TAB>" it expands hostnames from a list of known hosts. If you type "git checkout <TAB>" it lists all branches available and if continuing with "git checkout m<TAB>" expands to "git checkout master" because the script looks it up and knows that "master" is the only branch starting with "m" for the current working directory.
I use this technique quite a lot on linux and would love to have custom scripts for my day to day tasks where I could create extensions for my custom shell scripts that accept only valid parameters and therefore save me some tedious lookup.

I already use the mentioned completion settings FAR already provides and they are certainly better than the raw command input. As the bash style is much more custumizable and scriptable I would prefer that.

I' aware that it probably won't happen, I myself am certainly not up to the task of implementing it. Reading blog dot gisspan dot com/2014/01/setting-up-far-manager-conemu-and-clink.html had given me hope of seeing clink in FAR, but that was a misunderstanding.
citRiks

Post by citRiks »

troet, BTW, agreed.
Clink has a great potential for usage also in FAR,
also considered clink is Lua-based, and extensible with lua scripts

Another example,
"native" AutoJump supposed to work in *nix environments:
https://github.com/wting/autojump
.. but works perfectly well in CMD, thanks to clink, almost "out of the box".
almost - only because there is some regression in latest AutoJump,
but there is a patch of two lines for it.

Return to “General Plug-In Discussions”