DirSync3 — Synchronize Directories

Here you can discuss about your favorite plug-in.
pepak

Post by pepak »

Latest post of the previous page:

Version 1.12
  • Updated the underlying components used by DirSync3.
  • Cleaned up the source code.
  • Fixed an error where the difference between files was always shown using the left file's path and name. Now the newer file is used for the choice of path and name. This can be significant if there's a change in capitalization between the left and right file (e.g. if a.txt and A.txt are compared and found different).
Download
Pasha_ZZZ

Post by Pasha_ZZZ »

What is Silent mode? I Think it is something like Yes to All, but when I select it - there are prompts for overwrite/delete. I select Copy to left + Confirmation off, Copy to right off, Delete on left on, Delete on right off.
Pasha_ZZZ

Post by Pasha_ZZZ »

RU Lng file fully translated
Attachments
DirSync3Rus.zip
(2.46 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
pepak

Post by pepak »

Pasha_ZZZ wrote: Tue 16 May, 2023 03:52 What is Silent mode? I Think it is something like Yes to All, but when I select it - there are prompts for overwrite/delete. I select Copy to left + Confirmation off, Copy to right off, Delete on left on, Delete on right off.
Silent mode is supposed to leave all questions until the end, so that it doesn't interrupt the bulk of the synchronization work.
pepak

Post by pepak »

Pasha_ZZZ wrote: Tue 16 May, 2023 05:04 RU Lng file fully translated
Thanks! Will add it to the next version.
Pasha_ZZZ

Post by Pasha_ZZZ »

Option "Say Yes to all answers" may be very useful.
pepak

Post by pepak »

That's what the "remember" checkbox is for.
HaRT

Post by HaRT »

pepak wrote: Wed 17 May, 2023 19:24 That's what the "remember" checkbox is for.
I did not use the plug-in but I assume that the checkbox is in a confirmation prompt dialog. The problem with such checkbox is that you have to watch the progress waiting till the dialog (if any) pops up. If there may be multiple different prompts, then you have to wait for each one (again, if any). This makes it impossible to run a lengthy sync unattended. If you do and e.g. go out for lunch, upon return you risk seeing that the progress stalled at 5% waiting for your decision for 30 or even more minutes.
Фар есть инструмент, а не нянька. © 2009 DrKnS
pepak

Post by pepak »

That's what silent mode is for :-)
Pasha_ZZZ

Post by Pasha_ZZZ »

pepak wrote: Fri 19 May, 2023 05:00 That's what silent mode is for :-)
But this not working. In my scenario I see replace confirmation in the middle of process. And then another for deleting...
HaRT

Post by HaRT »

pepak wrote: Fri 19 May, 2023 05:00 That's what silent mode is for
pepak wrote: Tue 16 May, 2023 20:07 Silent mode is supposed to leave all questions until the end
So, you come back from lunch, answer multiple questions (let's even assume they are grouped properly, not for every individual item) and then wait till the remaining work finishes according to your choices, which can still take significant time. Or what am I missing?
pepak

Post by pepak »

Pasha_ZZZ wrote: Fri 19 May, 2023 05:58
pepak wrote: Fri 19 May, 2023 05:00 That's what silent mode is for :-)
But this not working. In my scenario I see replace confirmation in the middle of process. And then another for deleting...
Different operations have a different confirmation, of course. Still, you can remove most of the overwrite confirmations in the synchronization dialog. You can't remove delete confirmations up ahead, but they should get all asked as a group at the end. Provided that you remember the setting for the full directory tree (or use the global remember).
pepak

Post by pepak »

HaRT wrote: Fri 19 May, 2023 12:34
pepak wrote: Fri 19 May, 2023 05:00 That's what silent mode is for
pepak wrote: Tue 16 May, 2023 20:07 Silent mode is supposed to leave all questions until the end
So, you come back from lunch, answer multiple questions (let's even assume they are grouped properly, not for every individual item) and then wait till the remaining work finishes according to your choices, which can still take significant time. Or what am I missing?
Yes, this is what I intended.
HaRT

Post by HaRT »

pepak wrote: Fri 19 May, 2023 16:36
HaRT wrote: Fri 19 May, 2023 12:34 So, you come back from lunch, answer multiple questions (let's even assume they are grouped properly, not for every individual item) and then wait till the remaining work finishes according to your choices, which can still take significant time. Or what am I missing?
Yes, this is what I intended.
My point is that this logic does not provide for an optimal unattended sync, because the user will likely have to wait even after giving the computer enough time to complete the task.
What Pasha_ZZZ suggests by “Answer Yes to all prompts” is a mode when the user makes all decisions up-front to bring the chance of waiting later to a minimum. Yes, I understand that it is impractical to foresee every error condition, but the usual prompts (like overwrite, delete read-only, etc) can be handled this way.

Return to “General Plug-In Discussions”