FAR and Windows 11

You want to talk about Far Manager, but don't know where to turn?
midykm

FAR and Windows 11

Post by midykm »

Hi Far forum members!

I have used FAR for many years and it was always my favorite file manager.

Today I installed 2022-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based systems (KB5019509), which caused a problem running FAR (FAR3, to be precise).Installation isn't a problem, but when running, my eyes got big.Rather than executing far as an ordinary binary, as you would expect, the program now runs as a subroutine of Windows Terminal! A quick look in task manager shows I'm right. What the deuce! You might ask, why care? Main thing is the program is running. Well, that's not exactly the case. Earlier version of FAR (better, before that damned update), I always had to adjust a little. I right-clicked the program window's menu above on the left side, chose properties, and set font, window size, etc., to my likings. This is now no longer possible. There's more. A running FAR instance, I used to stick to the taskbar, doing so now, just sticks a terminal shortcut there. Help! I want my old FAR back!

I will appreciate any help!

Thanks in advance!
DrKnS

FAR and Windows 11

Post by DrKnS »

midykm, you can switch to the usual behavior in settings as described here:
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandl ... al-setting
midykm

FAR and Windows 11

Post by midykm »

Thanks for your reply. I adopted the terminal settings and chose the command prompt as the primary shell. However, that didn’t solve my problem. Then I had an idea. I created a shortcut to FAR.exe, changing the values inside the properties. This shortcut, I stuck to the taskbar, and Voila!, it worked. At least to a certain amount. The cursor and font are accepted but not the window size. I don’t know why. Anyway, you can’t have it all.

Regards,

midykm
Prograsaur

FAR and Windows 11

Post by Prograsaur »

Hello midykm,

The following procedure works for me:
  1. Create a new empty shortcut
    Target (your location to conhost and Far can be different): C:\Windows\System32\conhost.exe "C:/Program Files/Far Manager/Far.exe"
    Start In (your location to Far can be different): "C:\Program Files\Far Manager"
  2. Right click on the shortcut
    Tab Shortcut - Button "Change Icon" - set it to the "%ProgramFiles%\Far Manager\Far.exe"
  3. Save and start your Far
  4. On the opened window with Far click on left top corner with icon
    Go to Properties and select desired font, window size, etc.
You can have multiple shortcuts with different windows' sizes. No needs to do it through the terminal.

Hope it will work for you as well.
Enjoy! :)

Return to “General Discussions”