Better way to issue shell command programmatically?

Here you can discuss any topic concerning Far macro commands.
rattle

Post by rattle »

Let's say I want to use the commandline capabilities of FAR to navigate to a file/folder using the goto: command, but from inside a macro. Currently, I do this:

Code: Select all

panel.SetCmdLine(nil, 'goto:' .. directory)
Keys('Enter')
or alternatively,

Code: Select all

Keys('CtrlG')
print('goto:' .. directory)
Keys('Enter')
I keep wondering whether there is a better way to directly execute a commandline command as if I had entered it in FAR's commandline - not just in this one example, but also generally.
Last edited by rattle on Fri 16 Mar, 2018 01:34, edited 2 times in total.
Shmuel

Post by Shmuel »

panel.SetPanelDirectory (nil, 1, directory) -- 0 for passive panel; 1 for active panel
Whether it's better or not - I don't know.
rattle

Post by rattle »

For this particular case, that is an alright alternative - however, it is not as good as goto: because it will not work as well for files as goto. However, I have asked myself this question with many FAR shell commands that I like to execute programmatically, a generic solution would be best.
Xerox

Post by Xerox »

Have you seen other "Panel functions" in supplied standard manual, it has "getItem", "selectItem"?
In general, i think, FAR gives you visual representation. with abstractions of all kinds of "panel/panleItem", representing all possible objects
If you want to work with that obkjects directly - no problem,you have all API to do that, and you have ability to extend that as well
Probably i misunderstood you however, becaucse i am not totally clear about what you mean
Again, if you need visual representation - you may work with it, if you need real underlying objects - you handle it as well.

Return to “Macro Commands Discussions”