Viewer with selection and coloring capabilities

Something is missing in Far Manager? You have a great idea that should be heard? Write here.
pepak

Post by pepak »

I have never looked at FAR's viewer from the developer's standpoint. I understand that it is a very different thing from an editor, in particular because it only loads the necessary part of the file file into memory rather than the whole file. I wonder, however: Would it be possible to keep that but defer the actual display of the data to something like an editor in its locked state? Basically, everything up to the point where the beginning of the display area is found, would be exactly the same, as would be the reading the content of display area. But then the read data would be translated to lines and fed to a memory-backed read-only editor instead of the viewer. If the user decided to scroll or change the wrap mode, FAR would once again perform the operation from scratch, but until the actual content change happened, editor would be used to manipulate it. This would provide two features that I find annoyingly missing in the current viewer: the ability to copy a part of the view to clipboard (basically, I have to switch to editor, which means loading the file - even a huge file - into memory all at once) and the ability to use Colorer (obviously, the viewer-Colorer would lack a lot of context, but that would still be OK for many filetypes). Is it worth looking into or is this a hopeless undertaking?
2useven10

Post by 2useven10 »

pepak wrote: Sun 20 Dec, 2020 10:51 missing in the current viewer: the ability to copy a part of the view to clipboard (basically, I have to switch to editor
It is not quiete right. press F1 in Viewer and look for Shift+Click.
pepak

Post by pepak »

Interesting. I suppose I could use it in the meantime, but it's not really all that comfortable (after all, I use FAR specifically because it doesn't require a mouse...).
HaRT

Post by HaRT »

pepak wrote: Sun 20 Dec, 2020 12:01 it's not really all that comfortable
Another imperfect yet mouseless approach is Screen Grabber (Alt+Ins).
Фар есть инструмент, а не нянька. © 2009 DrKnS

Return to “Suggestions and Ideas”