NetBox — SFTP/SCP/FTP/FTPS/WebDAV client

Here you can discuss about your favorite plug-in.
pandronic

Re: NetBox — SFTP/SCP/FTP/FTPS/WebDAV client

Post by pandronic »

Latest post of the previous page:

Another NetBox bug. I'm using 2.1.31 build 271 on Far 3.0 build 3525 x86
Whenever I try to move (F6) a file from the local HDD to a SFTP server, the file get copied, but the local copy is not deleted. Instead I get the message:

Code: Select all

╔═════════════════════════ Error ═════════════════════════╗
║ Copying files to remote side failed.                    ║
╟─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────╢
║ System Error.  Code: 32.                                ║
║ The process cannot access the file because it is being  ║
║ used by another process                                 ║
╟─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────╢
║                           Ok                            ║
╚═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝
Needless to say that the file is not used by any process. On FTP it works fine.
KlepetoX

Post by KlepetoX »

I have found several things, that make NetBox plugin unusable for common work.

First of all:

Cannot copy large files to FTP (on fast connection) and even small files on slow connection. I always received this error (at the end of copying with 99%):

╔════════════════ Error ════════════════╗
║ Lost connection.                      ║
║───────────────────────────────────────║
║ Timeout detected.                     ║
║ Copying files to remote side failed.  ║
║ Accepted data connection              ║
║───────────────────────────────────────║
║        Abort   Reconnect (2 s)        ║
╚═══════════════════════════════════════╝
or sometimes error as "pandronic" above that the file is used by another process at the very end of copying. Why is connection lost? It is NOT. Old plugin copies everything in a right way. And sometimes after this error, the file is copied well.

The second:

Cannot set and read attributes on Filezilla based FTP servers:

╔══════════════════ Attributes ══════════════════╗
║           Change file attributes for           ║
║              TeamViewerQS_cs.exe               ║
║────────────────────────────────────────────────║
║ Owner:                                         ║
║ Group:                                         ║
║───────────────── Permissions ──────────────────║
║ Owner   [ ] R  [ ] W  [ ] X  [ ] Set UID       ║ nothing is read, nothing is set
║ Group   [ ] R  [ ] W  [ ] X  [ ] Set GID       ║
║ Others  [ ] R  [ ] W  [ ] X  [ ] Sticky bit    ║
║ Octal:  0000   [ None ]  [ Default ]  [ All ]  ║
║                                                ║
║────────────────────────────────────────────────║
║               { Ok } [ Cancel ]                ║
╚════════════════════════════════════════════════╝
while old FTP plugin reads and writes it normally:

╔═══════ Set attributes ════════╗
║  R  W  X   R  W  X   R  W  X  ║
║ [x][x][x] [x][ ][x] [x][ ][x] ║ everything is read and written alright
║───────────────────────────────║
║       { OK } [ Cancel ]       ║
╚═══════════════════════════════╝
The third:

Every files on both sides (local/ftp) are overwritten without any warning that files already exist. It doesn't matter what is set in configuration:

╔════════════════ NetBox - Confirmations ═════════════════╗
║ [ ] Overwriting of files (? = use FAR settings)         ║ It doesn't matter what is here
║ [x] Opening separate shell session                      ║
║ [x] Transfer resuming                                   ║
║ [x] Synchronised browsing                               ║
║─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────║
║                    { Ok } [ Cancel ]                    ║
╚═════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝
My FAR version is 3695, NetBox is 2.1.31.271. Where can I search reasons of this strange behavior, it is in NetBox or on my hard disk?
And why is everything absolutely alright with old ANSI FTP plugin?
pandronic

Post by pandronic »

Did any Far/Netbox developer read this?

This really sucks. Until this is fixed, Far is unusable for me. Meanwhile, I think I'll install Far 2 with WinSCP or look at other file managers.
PavelR

Post by PavelR »

pandronic wrote:Did any Far/Netbox developer read this?

This really sucks. Until this is fixed, Far is unusable for me. Meanwhile, I think I'll install Far 2 with WinSCP or look at other file managers.
WinSCP works fine in FAR 3...
pandronic

Post by pandronic »

Good to know. Thanks.

Edit: Just tested it. Works like a charm.
KlepetoX

Post by KlepetoX »

Hello Pandronic. There's no need to look for other file managers. I think that there is nothing better and powerful than FAR is. It's wasting time only to search anything...

Why to quit from FAR because of one unfinished and buggy plug-in?

You can still use the old reliable ansi FTP plug-in (new version is on plugring) or WinSCP (you can see that it is still working even if there won't hardly be a new version in the future). We can hope that NetBox's author will remove bugs as soon as possible. In the meantime, we can use some alternatives and take it easy :-) On the other hand, the truth is that NetBox in the state as is today puts a shame on FAR developers being seen from outside.
pandronic

Post by pandronic »

Hi, thanks for your nice reply. I've been using Far for more than 10 years and it's scary how dependent I'm on it. I was just frustrated by the fact that NetBox which comes by default with Far is so incredibly buggy and I thought that WinSCP didn't work with Far3 (I'm glad I was wrong).

I'm also bummed about the way things are going with Far - the development is slow, all the info is in Russian, the plugins are spread around different Russian forums or different sites, you rarely find the latest versions on Plugring, a lot of plugins are buggy from one version to the next etc etc ... it's a mess. I know it's open source and people code it in their free time and I'm grateful for that, but I just wish that there was a commercial well-supported and constantly developed version with an up-to-date plugin repository. I'd gladly pay $50 for something like that.
KlepetoX

Post by KlepetoX »

Hi Pandronic. As for me, I regret that FAR is devoleped for developers and not for end users. There are no changes visible for end users for many months, maybe years. For example, very basic things - FAR should be file and archive manager, ok - but every such other manager can copy and archive files on backgroud - and FAR? Cannot. Interesting that version 2 can archive on background (mulitarc plugin) and new arclite can't. Plugin Background copy existed for FAR2, there's nothing similar for version 3. And another basic thing for every file manager - sorting by clicking on column titles. Impossible, better to have titles hidden when have no function.

On the other hand because the macro language, many and many things I can do by myself, which is not possible in other managers. So I will stay with FAR probably for ever, there is nothing better after all.
pdan_pdan

Post by pdan_pdan »

WIth the latest update NetBox is almost always crashing.
FarTrap_logs.7z
Crash logs attached
(19 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
ultramage

Post by ultramage »

Would anyone happen to know how the far dev team builds NetBox for their releases?
I build latest trunk of Far Manager from svn. I build latest trunk of NetBox from github. The plugin is ignored by Far because it does not have the correct dll exports (dies on NativePluginModel::FindExport() GetGlobalInfoW check). From the sources I can see that it's targeting its Far2 PluginSDK. If I retarget it to its outdated Far3 PluginSDK, it fails to compile.
When I compare my dll and the official dll using dumpbin /exports, I see that Far's version uses the far3 api. Are there private edits in the official release to make the dll work? Or am I just making a mistake somewhere?

EDIT: thank you.
Last edited by ultramage on Tue 04 Feb, 2014 23:53, edited 1 time in total.
2useven10

Post by 2useven10 »

You have to use 'far3' branch for far3, 'master' is far2 branch.
pepak

Post by pepak »

I would be very happy if NetBox could add several new features. As far as I can tell, they have not been requested in this thread yet, though they may have appeared in the russian forum (I don't know):

1) Stored passwords should optionally be encrypted by a user-defined master password. When NetBox first needs to read a stored password, it would ask about the master password and store it as long as that particular instance of FAR is running. That way I would only need to enter the master password once per session, which is certainly tolerable, and I would get a benefit of being able to store the passwords and carry them along. It would be particularly useful in case of FAR3, which is able to work as portable.

2) It would be nice if I could (optionally) store my private key file within the plugin's SQLite configuration, rather than in a separate file.

3) This is more of a question: Can I use relative paths when specifying private key file location? And if I can, they are relative to what? I think relative to either FARHOME (for FAR2) or FARPROFILE (for FAR3) would be the best.

Thanks.
pepak

Post by pepak »

That's strange - I always thought that NetBox supports directories for its host list. But now I am trying to prepare a FAR3 configuration and even though I can create a folder, when I create a host configuration in it, this new configuration in fact moves to the root directory of NetBox Sessions and the directory itself disappears. This happens with both the FAR3 plugin version 2.1.31 (shipped with FAR3 build 3525) and the FAR2 plugin version 2.1.30. Is it normal?
dma_k

Post by dma_k »

Would be nice if NetBox supports environment variables substitution in the field "Private key file", for example:

Private key file:
%USERPROFILE%\.ssh\id.ppk
pepak

Post by pepak »

Not sure if ice_scream follows the FAR Manager bugtracker and the bug I reported there is difficult to fix or not important enough to fix, so I will just note here that bug http://bugs.farmanager.com/view.php?id=2798 still occurs in NetBox included with FAR Nightly 4127. I would say it is a pretty major bug, but perhaps I am mistaken.

And another bug, http://bugs.farmanager.com/view.php?id=2820. This one is minor.
KtW

NetBox — SFTP/SCP/FTP/FTPS/WebDAV client

Post by KtW »

This Is Really A Nice Plugin...

...But For Me It's Keep Disconnecting "Timeout detected" When Transfering Files And When Browsing An FTP Server
Even If With FlashFXP Or Original Far FTP Client Works Flawless!

How Can Be Possible? ...Do You Have Some Suggestion To Try Or Something To Reset I Can Try?

For Me Is Now Inusable... :cry:

[UPDATE 1]
I've Found A Mitigation Of The Problem... I've Turned Off Emule And Torrent Client So Upload Bandwidth Is Almost Free
Now I Can Use NetBox Again With Less "Timeout" Messages...

It Will Be Nice That The Plugin Can Use QOS Service Or Cache The Full Directory Tree In Background With A Second Connection...

Return to “General Plug-In Discussions”