FRename3

Here you can discuss about your favorite plug-in.
vodek

FRename3

Post by vodek »

Latest post of the previous page:

Unfortunately with build 5333 the same...
pepak

FRename3

Post by pepak »

Do try with a clean profile and no additional plugins, and you may also want to give an older FAR Manager version a try. I expect that with unmodified config and old FAR, you will still get a crash, and with a new FAR but no plugins/config, everything will be fine. Because I don't really see any change in FAR's source code which would account for this loss of functionality, so I suspect some other plugin.
vodek

FRename3

Post by vodek »

I reconfigured the FAR and FRename3 work again.
Thanks for the advice!
hayabusa2

FRename3

Post by hayabusa2 »

Hi pepak,
frename_260505 had useful functions
[26.05.2005]
add: Configuration dialog;
add: Option "Add help lines" allows to turn off help lines on top of rename file;
add: Cursor in rename file placed to new name of first file; (without Alt+F1)
pepak

FRename3

Post by pepak »

Config and disable help lines is on my TODO list. Cursor positioning seems like a good idea, adding it.
pepak

FRename3

Post by pepak »

I am almost ready to release a new version. Needs a bit more testing and it would be nice if someone could update the russian translation (5 new strings, or something like that).
Attachments
FRename3Rus.lng.zip
(1.03 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
HaRT

FRename3

Post by HaRT »

pepak wrote: Thu 28 Nov, 2019 18:56 it would be nice if someone could update the russian translation
Фар есть инструмент, а не нянька. © 2009 DrKnS
pepak

FRename3

Post by pepak »

Thanks. I will probably release the plugin in a few days.
pepak

FRename3

Post by pepak »

Version 2.00 Changelog
  • Rewritten the plugin to the new framework for FAR plugins. This will enable far easier maintenance in the future.
  • PluginCall support for LuaMacro. Examples of use can be found in FRename3.lua.
  • Russian translation by bigvax and HaRT.
  • Option to display a short description rather than the usual long help. You can reduce the text even more by leaving only an empty string for it in the language file.
  • Option to select the renamed files (instead of the default behavior or keeping the non-renamed files selected). Note that this will be quite slow, particularly with slow drives and/or huge directories.
  • Start with the cursor at the destination filename (as if ALT+F1 were pressed right after opening of the editor).
  • If an error occurs during the renaming, the filelist will be displayed again - but in this version it will only contain the failed files. In previous version, the list would contain even the files which were renamed correctly.
  • If ESCAPE is pressed inside of the "failed to rename" dialog, the renaming process will stop immediately. In the previous versions, it would continue and the failed files would be once again shown in an editor, making it difficult to stop renaming.
  • Refresh the panel automatically after the renaming was finished.
  • Fixed a bug with renaming a file containing a Unicode character which does not fit into 16 bits (e.g. 0x1F920).
BestiaPl

FRename3

Post by BestiaPl »

Hello.
I have translated FRename3 into Polish language.
FRename3.7z
Polish translation
(2.2 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
pepak

FRename3

Post by pepak »

Thank you. Version 2.01 is almost ready for release, so I sent a PM begging for an updated translation so that I can release it completely translated.
HaRT

FRename3

Post by HaRT »

pepak wrote: Tue 06 Oct, 2020 05:50 I sent a PM begging for an updated translation so that I can release it completely translated
I assume the Russian translation needs an update too, I'm ready to do that. Or do you have that covered already?
pepak

FRename3

Post by pepak »

Version 2.01
  • Updated the logic of positioning cursor on ALT+F1 to be more in sync with the user's expectation. The priority is now to display as much of the destination filename as possible in the available screen space.
  • Added ALT+F3 shortcut to delete destination filename from the cursor position until the filename's extension. In "FRename3.lua", you can find an example of how to remap this function to CTRL+D and CTRL+K if no block is selected.
  • Added ALT+F4 shortcut to move the cursor to the extension of the destination filename.
  • Added ALT+F5 shortcut to act as a "Smart HOME" - switch the cursor between the destination filename and the beginning of the line. Added ALT+F6 to act as a "Smart END" - switch the cursor between the destination filename's extension and the end of the line. Added macros to FRename3.lua to convert HOME and END to their respective "Smart" versions if used within the plugin's editor.
  • Added FRename3.IsMyEditorLine() function to FRename3.lua. It returns true if the active editor is a FRename3's editor and the current line is a line usable for Rename operations.
  • Option to disable internal hotkeys (ALT+F1 etc.). This may be useful if you use these hotkeys for another functionality. You may want to redefine the functions to new hotkeys using the provided scripting (see FRename3.lua for examples).
  • Added Polish translation by Andrzej Rudnik.
  • Updated the plugin to a newer version of Dialog API. Among other things, this allows the plugin to properly react to resizing of the FAR's window.
  • Minor fixes for compatibility with Delphi 10.1 and newer.
  • Only save the settings if they are actually different from the previous version. This will prevent unnecessary changes to the plugin's data file, e.g. when performing incremental backups.
HaRT

FRename3

Post by HaRT »

pepak wrote: Sun 11 Oct, 2020 16:26 Updated the logic of positioning cursor on ALT+F1 to be more in sync with the user's expectation. The priority is now to display as much of the destination filename as possible in the available screen space.
Unfortunately, counter to the principle of least surprise, now the text scrolls horizontally moving the new file name's opening quote to the window's leftmost column even when the entire file name was visible initially and plenty of width was unused. It hides the current file name and makes the renaming far less intuitive. The same for the “Smart Home” command. Can you please make at least the AltF1 jump not smart again?

Plus, when the Show short help message option is ON, the FRename3 file with old and new names opens scrolled horizontally as described above. This is extremely confusing!
Also, why does the initial position depend on that option at all? IMHO, the initial positioning should be a separate option.
pepak

FRename3

Post by pepak »

HaRT wrote: Mon 12 Oct, 2020 00:02now the text scrolls horizontally moving the new file name's opening quote to the window's leftmost column even when the entire file name was visible initially and plenty of width was unused. It hides the current file name and makes the renaming far less intuitive.
True in the case you describe, but try it with two filenames, one very long and one very short. I was trying to come up with a solution that would work regardless of the respective lengths of the filenames, and this seemed the best solution. After all, why do you need to see the original filename? Until you change it, it's the same as the new filename which you CAN see...
The same for the “Smart Home” command. Can you please make at least the AltF1 jump not smart again?
I suppose there could be an option for ALT+F1 behavior. Added it to the TODO list.
Plus, when the Show short help message option is ON, the FRename3 file with old and new names opens scrolled horizontally as described above. This is extremely confusing!
True, but I was simply unable to find a good behavior here.
Also, why does the initial position depend on that option at all? IMHO, the initial positioning should be a separate option.
I don't think it does. Maybe I don't understand what you mean here.
HaRT

FRename3

Post by HaRT »

pepak wrote: Mon 12 Oct, 2020 16:05 a solution that would work regardless of the respective lengths of the filenames
I'd suggest scrolling no more than is required to move the leftmost longest possible part of the new name into view (in my particular example, no scrolling would happen).
pepak wrote: Mon 12 Oct, 2020 16:05 why do you need to see the original filename?
It's more of a comfort: when the text stays in (or close to) its original position in the window and the caret jumps, I easily understand what happened; when the text seemingly changes (with no clear indication of horizontal scrolling), I'm very confused, and it takes effort to accommodate to the new “landscape”.
pepak wrote: Mon 12 Oct, 2020 16:05 Until you change it, it's the same as the new filename which you CAN see...
Not quite so: it's the same until I change it for the first time only, while I might change my mind several times in a single renaming session.
pepak wrote: Mon 12 Oct, 2020 16:05 I suppose there could be an option for ALT+F1 behavior. Added it to the TODO list.
I suggest the choice is at least three-way Scrolling:  ( ) Minimal  ( ) Smart  ( ) Maximal where Minimal is what happens when the caret merely jumps to the required position (and stays visible), Smart means minimal scrolling to move the leftmost longest possible part of the new name into view (as suggested above), and Maximal means to scroll the new file name to the window's leftmost column (as is implemented now).

Return to “General Plug-In Discussions”