Named Folders Lite

Here you can discuss about your favorite plug-in.
pepak

Named Folders Lite

Post by pepak »

This thread discusses the Named Folders Lite plugin.

This is a re-imagination of the plugin Named Folders by Victor Derevianko. The plugin had been somewhat maintained until recently, but I had some serious database locking issues with the original plugin and it seemed easier to write a new plugin which I could maintain as long as I needed than to fix the original plugin, hence Named Folders Lite. I maintained the original's functionality of creating a list of "bookmarks" to folders which can be navigated either from the command line (cd::name to assign a name "name" to the current directory, or cd:name to jump to a previously stored bookmark "name") or from the disk menu. I am not sure if I reimplemented ALL of the original's functionality, as that wasn't my goal, but I did implement all that I use of it.

Latest version
Last edited by pepak on Sun 17 Oct, 2021 10:41, edited 7 times in total.
GAAlex

Named Folders Lite

Post by GAAlex »

Do you plan to do Directorys for "bookmarks"?
pepak

Named Folders Lite

Post by pepak »

I don't know. I never considered it, because I primarily use the plugin from the command line and directories add little there, but it wouldn't be too difficult to add directory support for those who prefer the GUI.
GAAlex

Named Folders Lite

Post by GAAlex »

sad. Plugin.Call("6073FF5D-703E-4C1E-8182-26400240073A") - not working for me. Not implemented?
pepak

Named Folders Lite

Post by pepak »

If you think directories would be useful, I think I can implement them.

Regarding Plugin.Call, I have no idea how to interface plugins with macros. If there is an english-language documentation on that, I might add the support to all my plugins, but at the moment I know literally nothing about it.
pepak

Named Folders Lite

Post by pepak »

GAAlex wrote:Do you plan to do Directorys for "bookmarks"?
I was looking into this possibility, but it turns out to be quite complicated from the UI point of view. Directories are probably fine if you only ever use the Panel view of the plugin, but they turn rather nasty when you try to use it from the command-line. I am not so sure I really want to implement it.
pepak

Named Folders Lite

Post by pepak »

It seems the folders will work, after all. I am not entirely happy about it, the directory support could use some more help from FAR Manager, but it will probably work.
pepak

Named Folders Lite

Post by pepak »

I am not yet confident enough to release the new version to the general public through the Plugring, but if you want to give it a try, the first post has been updated with version 1.01. Changes:
  • When attempting to jump to a stored directory (cd:x), if that directory does not exist, you are offered to jump to the nearest existing parent directory instead.
  • Support for subdirectories in the names: You can now use names such as "a\b\c" (or "a/b/c") to better organize your bookmarks, though it is only really usable in the panels.
As far as Scripting interface is concerned, I am willing to listen to explanations on what (and why) would be useful.
HaRT

Named Folders Lite

Post by HaRT »

pepak wrote: You can now use names such as "a\b\c" (or "a/b/c") to better organize your bookmarks
IIRC, in the original NamedFolders plugin, the forward slashes (‘/’) were used to reference bookmarks organised into directories, whereas the backslashes (‘\’) were used to match FS paths by their partial components. Why use both slash types for the same function in this incarnation?
Фар есть инструмент, а не нянька. © 2009 DrKnS
pepak

Named Folders Lite

Post by pepak »

Because I didn't know of the Named Folder's distinction :-)
(Actually, even now I am not sure that you mean. Can you give me an example of what 'a\b' would mean?)

To be honest, the directories are a low-priority concern for me. They are not too useful from command-line, and that's very nearly the only way I am using the plugin.
HaRT

Named Folders Lite

Post by HaRT »

pepak wrote: (Actually, even now I am not sure that you mean. Can you give me an example of what 'a\b' would mean?)
Here's what NamedFolders.Hlf has on it:

Code: Select all

#Variants of named folders paths#
  #~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~#

#Local path# - path to local folders should be specified as "c:\path1\path2".
  It's possible to use in these paths metacharacters of FAR (?, *, [a, b-z]). Scope "*" is not spreaded to
subfolders (* is not matched to slash). So, you should specify explicitly the depth of searching by
number of slashes. I.e. #c:\a# - search "a" in folders directly embedded in "c:\". 
#c:\\a# - search "a" in theses folders and in their direct subfolders. And so on.
  You can use "." instead of "\" to make search in reverse direction (in parent folders).
  You can use "\*\" and "\," to search in all subfolders and all parent folders correspondingly.
So I suggest that you simply preserve backslashes for future and don't use them the same as forward slashes.
pepak

Named Folders Lite

Post by pepak »

I think we don't understand each others. The "\" and "/" are used in the bookmark NAME interchangeably (actually, I convert everything to "/"). But there is no conversion at all performed in the stored DIRECTORIES, so whatever you put there, stays there. Not that I have any intention of implementing fuzzy search on the stored folders, I just don't see why would anyone want to use that.
HaRT

Named Folders Lite

Post by HaRT »

My point is that there should be a good reason to cut the UX compatibility with the original plugin.
At this early stage, to maintain the compatibility is simple: just disallow the backslashes and reserve them for possible future use.
pepak

Named Folders Lite

Post by pepak »

I can do that.
Mauro72

Named Folders Lite

Post by Mauro72 »

" v0.02
[-] The plugin no longer appears when F11 is pressed in a dialog. "

The same with last version (1.01). Any help pepak?
Thanks.

Return to “General Plug-In Discussions”